Charles and David Koch seem less confident these days. The brothers – who inherited money from their dad and grew it into America’s largest collection of dirty industries – have decided they need to fight back. That’s not surprising. Since Koch-sponsored secret meetings were revealed, secret planning with Supreme Court Justices was exposed, and secret funding of right wing groups became apparent, Americans have begun to wonder just how much influence these guys have purchased.
America has now heard of the Koch Brothers.
But that’s not all. A Google search of “Boycott Koch” reveals “about 907,000” pages. Many of these sites include a list of brands owned by the Kochs. Just type the word “boycott” into a Facebook search and Koch Industries pops up first. There appears to be a growing interest shunning Koch brands.
This week, Koch Industries opened a counteroffensive. But you may not have noticed. In a style harking back to the early 1900s, these puppet masters of public opinion began their counter-offensive indirectly.
They placed an ad in a media-insider newsletter, FishbowlDC, published by Mediabistro. FishbowlDC is a daily in-boxer advertised as “Where the DC media masses go for dish about their coworkers and competitors.” It’s an entertaining gossip rag aimed at journalists, bloggers and pundits. (Yes, it’s my guilty pleasure.) Until now, the typical sponsor was a writer’s workshop, a search engine optimizer or a writer’s services provider.
The ad teases “WASHINGTON POST STORY ON KOCH MISLEADS READERS and the tagline is “Open discussion. Competing ideas. A stronger nation.” Koch Industries is trying to gain media traction without anyone noticing they pitched their own patriotism story. Clever. The ad links to KochFacts.com.
- Condoms & Kochs (hahayourefunny.wordpress.com)
- Who Are the Koch Brothers? (mikesmusicdreams.wordpress.com)
- Klein on the Koch Brothers (volokh.com)
- Koch Brothers and a Glimpse at the Paid Groups, and Lobbyist They Use to fight the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) (fredericacade.wordpress.com)
- Rep. Mike Pompeo: The Koch brother’s puppet in the war on children (dailykos.com)
- Will New Koch sell? (politico.com)
- The Kochs and their weapons of mass distraction (capitolhillblue.com)