“If by a “Liberal” they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people-their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights and their civil liberties-someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a “Liberal”, then I’m proud to say I’m a “Liberal.”
― John F. Kennedy, Profiles in Courage
I, too am a proud Liberal. (KS)
- You can discern the geographic distance between Kenya and Hawaii.
- Bernie Sanders is one of your favorite senators.
- You’re seriously considering dropping Verizon and switching to Credo Mobile.
- You get much of your news from Rachel Maddow, Bill Maher and/or Jon Stewart.
- You’re in favor of tax increases to support the common good even if you have to pay more yourself.
This, of course, is an ironic look at how Republicans see Liberals. http://www.peoplescube.com
- You recognize that marijuana is physically less harmful than either cigarettes or alcohol.
- You understand Citizens United is about 5 conservative justices who are united against citizens and who favor the corporate control of elections.
- You get that Ron Paul is no better than the Tea Party.
- You’ve pissed off a conservative in your life by railing against Fox News or Sarah Palin.
- You have an “Obama ‘08” or “Obama 2012” logo riding on your bumper.
- You are a fan of a dozen or more liberal pages on Facebook.
- At some point, you wore dreads or went barefoot in public – or you know a few people who fit this description.
- You read food labels.
- You have gay friends and you respect them.
- You probably graduated from college and your degree probably isn’t in marketing or business administration.
- You post to Facebook and Twitter in support of liberal causes. A conservative friend may have un-friended you because of your posts.
- You support the middle class.
- You don’t think NPR is biased.
- You think the Koch brothers are evil.
- You’ve been following the dogged and brave uprising in Wisconsin.
- You prefer to breathe non-cancer-causing air and drink non-toxic water.
- You value a good standard of living for the public over corporate profits.
- You believe people should be able to choose, in private, the family planning option that’s right for them.
- You use hash tags like #p2, #p21, #topprog, and #taxtherich on Twitter.
- You are serious about recycling.
- You actually care that the ice caps are melting, coral reefs are dying and bio-diversity is diminishing.
- You can find Iraq on a map while realizing that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11.
- You’ve been called a hippie, a bleeding heart or a tree hugger.
- You believe education and health care should be subsidized for the common good.
- GOP voter suppression is ticking you off enough to mobilize the vote within your circles.
- You’ve given to a homeless person – ever.
- You cringe when you hear Obama referred to as a “one-term president.”
- You have gotten into a heated online debate with a Republican troll and even though you didn’t change their mind it still felt good to defeat their logic.