The Rand Paul campaign has just severed ties with their Bourbon County coordinator — a man by the name of Tim Profitt — who has identified himself as the supporter who stomped on the head and neck of a MoveOn activist outside of the Senate debate in Lexington, KY last night, according to Fox News.
Profitt apologized for the scuffle to the Associated Press this afternoon, and apparently told them that the camera angle made the incident appear worse than it really was.
TPM left a message for Profitt at his residence this afternoon, but the call was not returned before publication time.
Late update: Valle spoke to reporters this afternoon, telling them that the men who attacked her were familiar with her from other protests.
Later update: More from Profitt’s statement to the AP: “”I’m sorry that it came to that, and I apologize if it appeared overly forceful, but I was concerned about Rand’s safety.”
- Tim Profitt: Rand Paul Curb-Stomper Identified (buzzfeed.com)
- Following Up On The Kentucky Head Stomper: Rand Paul Coordinator Apologizes (mediaite.com)
- Curb Stomper is a Rand Paul County Coordinator (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Kentucky head-stomping a premeditated attack (horsesass.org)
- KY-Sen: Rand Paul’s curbstomper says he’s ‘misunderstood’ (dailykos.com)
- Suspect In Stomping Of Woman At Debate Is Rand Paul Staffer; Police Serve Him With Criminal Summons (alan.com)
- KY-Sen: Woman assaulted by Rand Paul supporters speaks out (dailykos.com)
- Tea Partier Who Stomped Lady’s Face: ‘I’m Sorry It Came to That’ [Crazies] (gawker.com)