Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin will be headlining a Tea Party rally this weekend, at a venue that has served as the stage for some very high-profile protests of late: The Wisconsin state Capitol building in Madison.
The state Capitol, of course, was the site of massive protests both outside and inside the building, as tens of thousands of people gathered to show (and shout) their opposition to Gov. Scott Walker’s anti-public employee union agenda. But now, as the Wisconsin State Journal reports, Palin will be coming to town to rally the other side.
And check out this nugget from the paper’s report:
Americans for Prosperity is organizing busses to the event. Last year’s gathering featured former Republican Gov. Tommy Thompson and others.
Americans for Prosperity is, of course, a Koch financed group. The Koch name has popped up quite a bit in the Wisconsin protests — most notably after Walker’s 20-minute phone call in late February with blogger Ian Murphy, who was posing as David Koch. During that call, Walker discussed his ideas for tricking the Democrats into coming back by pretending to negotiate, his ambition to bust the public employee unions in the mold of President Reagan firing the air traffic controllers — an event that Walker said had led to the downfall of the Soviet Union — and that he had considered (but ruled out) planting troublemakers in the crowds of protesters.
Palin’s presence could provide useful measure of activist motivation on each side at this point in the saga. Back in February, a pro-Walker Tea Party rally at the Capitol featured an all-star cast that included Andrew Breitbart and Joe “The Plumber” Wurzelbacher.
However, out of the tens of thousands who showed up that day, only a few thousand were on the pro-Walker side — with several times more demonstrators on the other.
- Palin set to attend Wisconsin tea party rally (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Sarah Palin To Speak At Tax Day Tea Party In Madison, This Sat. (nicedeb.wordpress.com)
- To a tax rally Palin goes (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Scott Walker Defends Hobbling Unions (huffingtonpost.com)
- Wisconsin Union Law Challenge Dismissed By Judge While Additional Lawsuits Remain Pending (huffingtonpost.com)
- Wisconsin gov to Congress: ‘Sometimes bipartisanship is not so good’ (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Quote of the day: Sarah Palin admits she smells like fish. (blahbethany.com)
- Gov. Sarah Palin for President 2012! (postyourview.com)
- The real Sarah Palin (atlmalcontent.wordpress.com)