Scott Walker’s campaign must be running scared…
From Eau Claire to Beloit, voters across Wisconsin are relaying stories via Twitter, Facebook and online message boards about anonymous “robocalls” from allies of Scott Walker, telling them–incorrectly–that if they signed petitions to recall Governor Walker, their vote in today’s crucial election has been recorded.
An NBC reporter tweeted that a family friend was one recipient of the call:
Dad just emailed, a WI friend of his got the ‘If you signed the petition you don’t have to vote tomorrow’ robocall #wirecall
Tom Barrett, the mayor of Milwaukee and the Democratic nominee to unseat Governor Scott Walker, told MSNBC host Ed Schultz last night that his campaign began receiving complaints yesterday that voters had been contacted with the misinformation. This morning, Salon reported on the robocalls too, and included comments from Carol Gibbons, a Wisconsin resident who got the call herself. And a local CBS affiliate is even reporting that the caller sounds eerily similar to Tom Barrett, suggesting the group behind the call may have hired a Barrett impersonator.
So far no recording of the call has surfaced, but the reports from voters was enough to prompt the Barrett campaign to make calls of its own, warning voters not to listen to the first call. For its part, the Walker campaign denied any involvement in or knowledge of the robocall or who was behind it.
Election day antics were a near certainty in Wisconsin. In the last week, reports of other campaign antics surfaced, including an attempt by Walker supporters to disable the Barrett campaign’s phone lines by flooding their call centers with spam phone calls.
- Bill Clinton calls on Wisconsin voters to reject Scott Walker’s divide and conquer (dailykos.com)
- Poll: Scott Walker, 54%; Tom Barrett, 42% (thepalinexpress.wordpress.com)
- Bill Clinton going to Wisconsin to campaign against Scott Walker (dailykos.com)
- Scott Walker’s recall strategy: avoid Wisconsin voters if they’re not already Walker voters (dailykos.com)
- Poll puts Walker up nine in recall fight; Update: WI Dems “furious” with DNC over lack of support (hotair.com)