I know I shouldn’t be shocked at anything that pundits over at Fox News have to say. Yet, having said that, I am in fact shocked at the above statement…
On Friday morning, as George Zimmerman’s defense team prepared to deliver its closing statement in the 3-week trial, Fox News’ Geraldo Rivera told Fox & Friends that the all-female jury would have also killed Trayvon Martin if they had encountered him on that fateful night:
RIVERA: I see those six ladies in the jury putting themselves on that rainy night, in that housing complex that has just been burglarized by three or four different groups of black youngsters from the adjacent community. So it’s a dark night, a 6-foot-2-inch hoodie-wearing stranger is in the immediate housing complex. How would the ladies of that jury have reacted? I submit that if they were armed, they would have shot and killed Trayvon Martin a lot sooner than George Zimmerman did. This is self-defense.
His original comment was met with widespread disgust, even from his own son. Public figures, including Rep. Bobby Rush (D-IL) and the Miami Heat basketball players responded by wearing hoodies in solidarity with the slain teenager.
- Geraldo Rivera: Zimmerman Jurors Would Have Shot And Killed Trayvon Martin Sooner Than Zimmerman Did (newshounds.us)
- Geraldo Rivera Says All Six Jurors Would Have Also Killed Trayvon Martin (hispanicallyspeakingnews.com)
- Geraldo Rivera Says All Six Jurors Would Have Also Killed Trayvon Martin (thinkprogress.org.feedsportal.com)
- Geraldo: If jury were in Zimmerman’s shoes, they’d kill Trayvon Martin (thegrio.com)
- Geraldo: Jury ‘Would Have Shot And Killed Trayvon Martin A Lot Sooner Than George Zimmerman Did’ (smd12364.newsvine.com)