This article does a good job in explaining what happened to the Republican Party…
For a while now, I’ve called the Republican Party a cult more often than I have a political party or ideology. The emergence of the Tea Party only solidified this belief.
Scientific research (not that science means much of anything to many Republicans) distinguishes 5 characteristics of a cult:
- People are put in physical or emotionally distressing situations
- Their problems are reduced to one simple explanation, which is repeatedly emphasized
- They receive what seems to be unconditional love, acceptance and attention from a charismatic leader or group
- They get a new identity based on the group
- They are subject to entrapment and their access to information is severely controlled
I’ll tackle these one by one.
1) Any rational person who’s subjected themselves to a decent amount of right-wing media (I have, it comes with the job) would find it hard to deny that these individuals often thrive on fear, paranoia and anger. Anyone who has ever objectively watched Fox News, listened to Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh, has probably lost count of the references to apocalyptic destruction of our country even in just one broadcast. Even after the death of Osama Bin Ladin, something that should have been celebrated by every American, Fox News perpetuated the idea that President Obama was someone who proved that he has no issues going into a country without authorization, to kill whoever he wants—whenever he wants. Really? You take what should be an apolitical event and turn it into a means at which to paint Obama as some kind of tyrant who will stop at nothing to kill whoever he wants. It was simply ridiculous.
Even long after the “death panel” myth has been soundly debunked, many Republican still fear “death panels” in the Affordable Care Act. They’ve been conditioned to believe Obama is some kind of gay rights supporting, foreign-born, radical Muslim socialist set on destroying “traditional American values,” yet can’t pinpoint a time when we had those—for everyone. Hell, they can’t even comprehend that for someone to be a socialist, a radical Muslim and support homosexuality is nearly an endless line of contradictions that no one person could ever singularly encompass.
They’re told by most of their media sources to be afraid. These bad men are out to bankrupt your grandchildren, create panels deciding who lives and dies, and turn this country into some socialistic style of governing. You can’t constantly be bombarded with this kind of intensely negative and hate filled information and not come out emotionally compromised.
- Republican Refusal to Fix the Sequester Has Created a Death Panel For the Poor (kstreet607.com)
- The Right Wing Cult Machine Exposed (alternet.org)
- Harry Reid’s Pathetic Attack on Ted Cruz (commentarymagazine.com)
- Dissecting a liberal propaganda hit piece on the “right wing cult machine” (onecitizenspeaking.com)
- A Few Words on Jacobin and Purity Cults (ohtarzie.wordpress.com)
- Thatcherism and contemporary politics (teessidesolidaritymovement.wordpress.com)