This week, Breitbart News broke a long-standing security protocol and published a story detailing the precise location where President Obama’s daughters are vacationing this week. On Wednesday, Rep. Steve King (R-IA) used the report to attack the First Daughters for taking a vacation.
King’s comments came during an appearance on Mickelson in the Morning, an Iowa-based radio show. A caller, Carla, brought up sequestration and proceeded to criticize the Michelle Obama and her daughters for taking a vacation in the Bahamas. King agreed — “Carla, you’re on point and on the mark all the way through” — before criticizing them for also taking a vacation last year in Mexico. “That was at our expense, too,” King bemoaned.
CALLER: When I see the First Lady and the beautiful girls going off to the Bahamas waving goodbye to us, it’s really hard to stomach. When we’re tightening our belts, either all of us should do it or none of us should do it. This, I am pretty tolerant, I always have been, I usually shut my mouth. This is not acceptable.
KING: Carla, you’re on point and on the mark all the way through. […] You’re right on the president. He needs to show some austerity himself. Instead he wanted to tell America how bad it was going to be. […] We’ve got the president doing these things. He sent the daughters to spring break in Mexico a year ago. That was at our expense, too. And now to the Bahamas at one of the most expensive places there. That is the wrong image to be coming out of the White House.
Listen to it:
This notion that the Obamas are living a life of excess is beginning to take hold among conservative members of Congress. At the CPAC conference earlier this month, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) smeared Obama for enjoying “the perks and the excess of the $1.4 billion presidency,” a charge that “fail[s] on the facts in simple fairness,” according to CNN.
King is strongly considering running for Iowa’s open Senate seat in 2014. His potential candidacy is already causing consternation among establishment Republicans who worry that he will be a Todd Akin-redux, appealing only to far-right conservatives and turning off everyone else.
- Obama Girl’s Sequester Vacation Destination … Paradise Island (youviewed.com)
- Republican Congressman Attacks Sasha And Malia Obama (thinkprogress.org)
- Sasha and Malia Obama on Spring Break in Bahamas (katenews2day.wordpress.com)
- Steve King CPAC: Congressman ‘Still Standing’ After Election Challenges (americanbulwark.com)
- Exclusive: Sasha, Malia Obama Vacation at Bahamas’ ‘Atlantis’ Resort (bobusnr.wordpress.com)
- Exclusive: Sasha, Malia Obama Vacation at Bahamas’ ‘Atlantis’ Resort (givemeliberty01.com)
- Judicial Watch Investigating Cost of Sasha, Malia Bahamas Trip (conservativebyte.com)
- Tweeters blow Sasha, Malia’s cover as First daughters vacation in Bahamas for Spring Break (pix11.com)
- SEQUESTER SPRING BREAK: Sasha, Malia Obama vacation at Bahamas… (redflagnews.com)