As two landmark gay rights cases appear before the Supreme Court this week, Fox News host Bill O’Reilly on Tuesday said those in favor of equal rights on the issue have a “compelling argument” against religious conservatives.
“The compelling argument is on the side of homosexuals,” O’Reilly said. “That’s where the compelling argument is. We’re Americans, we just want to be treated like everyone else. That’s a compelling argument. And to deny that, you’ve got to have a compelling argument on the other side. And the other side hasn’t been able to do anything but thump the bible.”
O’Reilly added that he has long supported civil unions for same-sex couples. “The gay marriage thing, I don’t feel that strongly about it one way or the other,” he said, adding that the issue should be left up to the states.
O’Reilly has previously suggested that accepting same-sex marriage could lead to polygamy, because polygamists would want the same treatment as other groups.
Video: (Watch (key part comes in at 4:50)
- Bill O’Reilly says same-sex marriage foes are just a bunch of Bible thumpers (rawstory.com)
- Bill O’Reilly: Same sex marriage opponents are ‘Bible thumpers’ (examiner.com)
- Bill O’Reilly says same sex marriage foes are just a bunch of Bible thumpers (eezzbeat.newsvine.com)
- Megyn Kelly’s Prediction for Supreme Court’s Ruling on Gay Marriage (foxnewsinsider.com)
- Hope, concern in Alabama as U.S. Supreme Court hears arguments on gay marriage (al.com)