This take on the reason Fox let Dick Morris go is just about right.
Morris was so laughably wrong in almost everything he said that even many die-hard conservatives no doubt found him to be a buffoon. When he tells you over and over again that there’s no way your side can lose, and then they do, his credibility suffers even with people who want to believe him. But what really did him in, I think, was when it came out in December that he was, in all probability, running a scam on the Fox News viewers whom he implored to contribute to his super PAC to defeat Barack Obama. None of the money went to that cause, instead probably finding its way back into Morris’s pocket. It’s one thing to treat Fox viewers like fools—most of the network’s personalities do that every day. But it’s quite another to treat them like marks. If you do it as blatantly as Morris did, the entire brand is threatened.
In the end, it became too obvious that Dick Morris wasn’t working for the betterment of the conservative movement, or the Republican party, or Fox News. He was working for the betterment of Dick Morris. Once that became all too obvious, I’m sure Ailes had no qualms about showing him the door. After all, there’s plenty more where he came from.
Fox viewers – fools? Nah. Really?
Morris might have been more blatant in his ways than the many grifters who appear daily on Fox but there’s a fine line between Morris’ antics and those of say, a Bill O’Reilly. Truth and honesty would never take precedence over the $20 million O’Reilly pulls in each year in salary alone from Fox. Bill knows what his audience of low-information muppets wants to hear and he delivers without fail.
- Colin Powell asks O’Reilly: Why do you only see me as an African-American? (thefifthcolumn2.wordpress.com)
- ‘New expectations’ for Roger Ailes (theblaze.com)
- Politico: Fox ‘purge’ shows GOP is trying to moderate (dailykos.com)
- Hannity, O’Reilly Fox News Ratings Take Dive (truthdig.com)
- Dick Morris: ‘I Was Wrong’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Dick (dish.andrewsullivan.com)
- Dick Morris Dropped By Fox News (m.deadline.com)
- Fox News dumps Dick Morris (wnd.com)