I saw former Rep. Barney Frank talking about this on Morning Joe today. I think it’s a great idea given the looming fiscal talks which will take place in a few weeks.
The comments from this TPM’s article are pretty good…
What do you think?
Former Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA), whose 32 year career in the House of Representatives came to an end yesterday, said Friday that he’s told Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick (D) that he would welcome an interim appointment to the seat expected to be vacated by Sen. John Kerry (D-MA).
Frank said that the fiscal cliff deal that passed the House of Representatives earlier this week and set the stage for a return to the same legislative fight in a matter of months “means that February, March and April are going to be among the most important months” for the American economy. The outspoken Democrat indicated he would only hold the seat until the statewide special election and has no designs of carving out a career in the Senate, but he relishes the opportunity to be a part of the next fiscal battle on Capitol Hill.
“I’m not going to be coy. It’s not anything I’ve ever been good at,” Frank said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.” “I’ve told the governor that I would now like, frankly, to do that because I would like to be a part of that. It’s only a three-month period. I wouldn’t want to do anything more. I don’t want to run again.”
Kerry has been nominated by President Barack Obama to succeed Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and the longtime senator is expected to breeze through the confirmation process.
- Could Barney Frank Take John Kerry’s Senate Seat? (queerty.com)
- Barney Frank Calls Out Republican Senator: Stop Using ‘Weasel Words’ | ThinkProgress (thinkprogress.org)
- Barney Frank Opposes Hagel For Defense Secretary (buzzfeed.com)
- Barney Frank Opposes Hagel for Defense Secretary (readersupportednews.org)
- Barney Frank: Members of the House are smart – except for those elected in 2010 (rawstory.com)
- Barney Frank Not Ruling Out Kerry’s Senate Seat (conservativebyte.com)