Conservatives are hoping to save Mitt Romney from his failed attempt to avoid a policy discussion about equal pay by feigning outrage over Mika Brzezinski’s pay.
The conservative Weekly Standard, founded by William Kristol, is allegedly making a case about pay disparity out of MSNBC’s Morning Joe, where Mika Brzezinski is paid half of what her male co-host is paid. They write, as if shocked, “Brzezinski’s colleague Andrea Mitchell made this point on air yesterday–that pay disparity exists at MSNBC.” Really? As if it doesn’t exist at every other network? We were unaware that Republicans cared about pay disparity. This is most unusual.
We can only assume this is intended to suggest that liberals are no better at women’s pay issues than conservatives, but if that is indeed the underlying point, it’s an utter fail.
The entertainment business is just that – a business. It’s run by men, it’s a huge industry as far as American exports go. Entertainment/media is a top dog in the business world. MSNBC is not a liberal entity- it’s a corporation under NBC Universal run by parent companies GE and Comcast, and as such, it doesn’t embrace liberal values but rather is guided by the amoral profit motive conjoined to the patriarchal system.
MSNBC saw an untapped market in liberal slanted news after Fox News so successfully absorbed the conservative market, and they jumped on it. They didn’t do it because they have a liberal agenda – they did it for money. And Morning Joe is not a liberal show; it’s named after the Republican host Joe Scarborough.
Women have always been paid less in entertainment. Julia Roberts fought to change that, and made huge strides for female stars, but women still make less than a man of similar star power.
- Conservatives Feign Outrage Over MSNBC’s Mika Brzezinski’s Pay Disparity (politicususa.com)
- Mika Brzezinski Calls Out Mitt Romney For Lying About Seeking Out ‘Binders Full Of Women’ (mediaite.com)
- This screenshot’s worth a thousand binders (dailykos.com)
- Cher Defends To Mika Brzezinski: Morning Joe ‘Chauvinists’ ‘Didn’t Stop Badgering Her’ (mediaite.com)
- Scarborough dismisses Mika’s binder obsession: ‘Romney will win in a landslide’ (rawstory.com)
- Mika Brzezinski: How is Romney’s binder comment not a lie? (psawomenpolitics.wordpress.com)