I wrote about this a couple of weeks ago…
Sgt. Gary Stein, the 26-year-old Marine who learned Wednesday he would be discharged for his online comments criticizing President Barack Obama, wishes he could take it back.
“People ask me, ‘Would you go back and change those words?’ I would most definitely,” Stein told msnbc.com. “I would articulate my point better.”
On March 1, Stein wrote on a closed forum for active-duty meteorologists and oceanographers that he would say “Screw Obama” and not follow all orders from him, according to Courthouse News.
“Obama is the economic enemy,” he wrote in the post. “He is the religious enemy … He is the ‘fundamentally change’ America enemy … He IS the Domestic Enemy.”
Five minutes later, another Marine took down his post, but not before someone Stein knew took a screen shot and forwarded the comment to Stein’s superiors.
Stein had already been warned about a Facebook page he had started in 2010, which he namedArmed Forces Tea Party.
“They said, ‘All we ask is that you write that the views are not that of the Marine Corps or the Department of Defense,’” Stein said. He said he put up the disclaimer that day.
The Facebook page, which had six moderators, including Stein, included posts about contraception, gays in the military, pundit Keith Olbermann and Obama. One post included a photo of Obama with the word, “Jackass” written underneath. Stein said that was not his post.
Service members are, according to Directive 1344 of the Department of Defense, allowed to express personal opinions on political candidates, but not as representatives of the Armed Forces.
Last month, a three-member military panel recommended that he be booted from the Marine Corps. On Wednesday, Brig. Gen. Daniel Yoo accepted their recommendation that Stein be dismissed for violating military law.
- Marine discharged for Obama Facebook criticism (dailystar.com.lb)
- BREAKING: Marine Sgt. Gary Stein DISMISSED over Obama Facebook Comments (blippitt.com)
- Sgt. Gary Stein kicked out of Marine Corps (fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com)
- Marine Corps discharges sergeant for Facebook posts critical of Obama (radio.woai.com)
- Tea Party Marine who called President Obama ‘the enemy’ is kicked out of the military and will lose his benefits (innerstandingisness.wordpress.com)
- You can discern the geographic distance between Kenya and Hawaii.
- Bernie Sanders is one of your favorite senators.
- You’re seriously considering dropping Verizon and switching to Credo Mobile.
- You get much of your news from Rachel Maddow, Bill Maher and/or Jon Stewart.
- You’re in favor of tax increases to support the common good even if you have to pay more yourself.
This, of course, is an ironic look at how Republicans see Liberals. http://www.peoplescube.com
- You recognize that marijuana is physically less harmful than either cigarettes or alcohol.
- You understand Citizens United is about 5 conservative justices who are united against citizens and who favor the corporate control of elections.
- You get that Ron Paul is no better than the Tea Party.
- You’ve pissed off a conservative in your life by railing against Fox News or Sarah Palin.
- You have an “Obama ‘08” or “Obama 2012” logo riding on your bumper.
- You are a fan of a dozen or more liberal pages on Facebook.
- At some point, you wore dreads or went barefoot in public – or you know a few people who fit this description.
- You read food labels.
- You have gay friends and you respect them.
- You probably graduated from college and your degree probably isn’t in marketing or business administration.
- You post to Facebook and Twitter in support of liberal causes. A conservative friend may have un-friended you because of your posts.
- You support the middle class.
- You don’t think NPR is biased.
- You think the Koch brothers are evil.
- You’ve been following the dogged and brave uprising in Wisconsin.
- You prefer to breathe non-cancer-causing air and drink non-toxic water.
- You value a good standard of living for the public over corporate profits.
- You believe people should be able to choose, in private, the family planning option that’s right for them.
- You use hash tags like #p2, #p21, #topprog, and #taxtherich on Twitter.
- You are serious about recycling.
- You actually care that the ice caps are melting, coral reefs are dying and bio-diversity is diminishing.
- You can find Iraq on a map while realizing that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11.
- You’ve been called a hippie, a bleeding heart or a tree hugger.
- You believe education and health care should be subsidized for the common good.
- GOP voter suppression is ticking you off enough to mobilize the vote within your circles.
- You’ve given to a homeless person – ever.
- You cringe when you hear Obama referred to as a “one-term president.”
- You have gotten into a heated online debate with a Republican troll and even though you didn’t change their mind it still felt good to defeat their logic.
- Racist! Rachel Maddow (bokertov.typepad.com)
- Jon Stewart Criticizes Fox News For Limbaugh Double Standard (VIDEO) (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Rachel Maddow Blog: Clint Eastwood wins the Super Bowl (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Monday Night Video – Rachel Maddow and Bill Maher (polentical.com)
- GOP Turns The Tables – Does Obama Have A Bill Maher Problem? (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- When Will Obama Use Marshal Law ? ? (surrivethegarbage.com)
- Bradlee Dean, Rachel Maddow and Conservative Entitlement (thinkprogress.org)
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow’s Amazing Appearance With Andy Cohen (huffingtonpost.com)
- Maher: Republicans have declared war on common sense (rawstory.com)
- Bill Maher: The Republican Party Is ‘At War With Common Sense’ (mediaite.com)
- Did Bill Maher Just Call Malia And Sasha Obama “Shiny” And “Lifelike” Girls? (societybytes.wordpress.com)