Dana Loesch received an Accuracy In Media award from CPAC last week. I’m not sure why, except that to CPAC folks, lying about an issue is called accuracy in their world.
This week, a Virginia state House committee overwhelmingly approved a bill requiring women to receive an ultrasound before they can have an abortion. Because the majority of abortions happen in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, many women would have to undergo an invasive procedure “in which a probe is inserted into the vagina, and then moved around until an ultrasound image is produced,” as Dahlia Lithwick explained last week.
CNN contributor and Andrew Breitbart blogger Dana Loesch, however, sees no problem with a law that effectively legalizes state-sponsored rape, saying the procedure is no different than penetration that occurred during consensual intercourse that “resulted in the pregnancy,” as Little Green Footballs reported:
LOESCH: That’s the big thing that progressives are trying to say, that it’s rape and so on and so forth. […] There were individuals saying, “Oh what about the Virginia rape? The rapes that, the forced rapes of women who are pregnant?” What? Wait a minute, they had no problem having similar to a trans-vaginal procedure when they engaged in the act that resulted in their pregnancy.
Unfortunately, such a radical view isn’t unique to conservative talking heads like Loesch. According to Lithwick, an unnamed Republican delegate made the same argument in support of the bill, saying women consented to being “vaginally penetrated when they got pregnant.”
- CNN Contributor Dana Loesch Defends Virginia State-Sponsored Rape Bill As No Different Than Consensual Sex (thinkprogress.org)
- CNN’s Dana Loesch Equates Mandatory Trans-Vaginal Ultrasound to Having Sex (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Virginia Poised To Enact ‘State-Sponsored Rape’ Law Forcing Women To Be Vaginally Probed Before Abortions (thefifthcolumn2.wordpress.com)
- Virginia Poised To Enact ‘State-Sponsored Rape’ Law Forcing Women To Be Vaginally Probed Before Abortions (thinkprogress.org)
- Virginia’s Ultrasound Law Would Require Forcible Penetration for Women Seeking Abortions [Abortions] (gawker.com)
- Proposed Virginia Law Will Force Women To Undergo Invasive Ultrasound Examinations (outsidethebeltway.com)