Most of the cable news channels have been talking about this video today.
At “best” it’s xenophobic and at worst it’s a racist piece of trash and I wonder why the actress decided to do the ad since Asians are the brunt of the cruel joke here…
Criticism of a Senate campaign ad featuring a young Asian woman talking in broken English about China taking away American jobs grew Monday as some warned it could revive discrimination against Asian-Americans.
Michigan has seen its share of Asia bashing, especially in the 1980s, when images of sledgehammers smashing imported cars were common. Chinese-American Vincent Chin died after being beaten to death in 1982 by two unemployed autoworkers angry about competition from Japan.
Republican Senate hopeful Pete Hoekstra began taking heat after his ad targeting Democratic incumbent Debbie Stabenow ran statewide Sunday before the Super Bowl.
“Mr. Hoekstra may believe that his ad is just a way to express his political goals. But it does so in a manner that points the finger at Asian-Americans and Pacific Islanders for our nation’s problems,” said Thomas Costello, president and CEO of the Michigan Roundtable for Diversity and Inclusion, a 70-year-old civil rights organization in Detroit. “All of us need to be vigilant in the words we use and images we portray to avoid giving tacit permission for racist behavior.”
The ad was created by media strategist Fred Davis of California-based Strategic Perception Inc., known for both Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder’s successful “one tough nerd” ads and for the 2010 “demon sheep” web ad attacking Tom Campbell in California’s Republican Senate primary.
Hoekstra told reporters Monday that his ad’s “insensitive” only to the spending philosophy of Stabenow and Democratic President Barack Obama.
- Hoekstra Under Fire For Racially Insensitive Super Bowl Ad (lezgetreal.com)
- GOP Ad in Broken Chinese Sparks Charge of Racism – Pete Hoekstra’s Super Bowl commercial attacks incumbent Debbie Stabenow (tribuneofthepeople.com)
- Pete Hoekstra spends big on Super Bowl ad that offends just about everyone (dailykos.com)
- Hoekstra Super Bowl Ad Draws Criticism (blogs.wsj.com)
- Bloggers pan Hoekstra ‘China’ ad (politico.com)
- Pete Hoekstra’s China Super Bowl Ad Draws Racial Criticism (usnews.com)
- Pete Hoekstra defends Super Bowl ad featuring Chinese woman amid claims of … – Detroit Free Press (freep.com)