I remember the rumblings during the 2008 campaign season in which reports of Ron Paul’s newsletters were revealed to contain some damning evidence of racism.
After the 2008 election, nothing else was mentioned about them until now…
As Ron Paul rises in the polls, he is once again fending off questions about those pesky newsletters where racist material appeared under his name. This time around, rather than expressing much in the way of regret, Paul is instead slamming the media for rehashing what he considers an old, irrelevant story.
To recap, back in the 1990s, Ron Paul produced a series of newsletters, all with his name on them, which published a ream of racist and anti-Semitic columns. Among a long list of offensive comments, one notorious column about the LA riots said that, “Order was only restored in L.A. when it came time for the blacks to pick up their welfare checks.” Another pilloried Martin Luther King, Jr. Day as “Hate Whitey Day.” Paul has always denied writing them and insists he doesn’t know who did. He has expressed regret that the comments were printed.
But asked about the newsletters in an interview with CNN Tuesday morning, Paul expressed little contrition and attacked the media for revisiting the issue. The candidate suggested that the only reason the newsletters were in the spotlight again is the popularity of the rest of his platform:
I think people dig these up when people think that, oh, his economic policies are winning. His foreign policies are winning and his monetary policies are winning. They have to dig these things up…
For two decades, Paul has denied knowing who wrote racist comments. Since Paul had six to eight people working under him on the newsletter, why couldn’t he have found out from them? “Possibly, I could,” Paul admitted Tuesday.
But he doesn’t seem to feel the need. “So, yes, it wasn’t good. I didn’t write them and those aren’t my beliefs. So, I sleep well,” the candidate said.
- NY Times Finally Picks Up on Ron Paul’s Incendiary Racist Newsletters (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- How Responsible Is Paul For His Newsletters? Ctd (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- Ron Paul disavows racist newsletters in his name (cbsnews.com)
- Bombshell: Who Wrote the Controversial Ron Paul Newsletters? (markamerica.com)
- Somebody’s Been Reading Ron Paul’s Newsletter…: (brothersjuddblog.com)
- Iowa “establishment” in a Ron Paul “panic”? (hotair.com)
- Ron Paul Supporter on Obama: “Assassinate N****r and Monkey Children” (ibtimes.com)