Of course some people think this guy was a “prop”, set up by the Obama campaign committee. Most bloggers on the right seem to have that opinion. Could it be because they can’t possibly “handle the truth!”
Earlier today, President Obama fielded questions from a town hall audience in Mountain View, California, hosted by LinkedIn. At one point, a man stood and asked Obama, “Would you please raise my taxes?” He continued: “I would like very much to have the country to continue to invest in things like Pell Grants, infrastructure, and job training programs that made it possible for me to get to where I am.” In his response, Obama dismissed “class warfare” rhetoric and emphasized that everyone benefits from government investments that companies would not have made on their own.
After Obama spoke, the man — who said he is voluntarily unemployed after making a healthy return from investing years ago in a search engine start-up company (presumably Google) — pleaded with Obama: “Please!” “We’re gonna get to work,” Obama concluded.
UPDATE: Mark Knoller tweets, “The man who asked Pres Obama to raise his taxes was Doug Edwards, former Dir of Consumer Marketing & brand management for Google.”
UPDATE: In a recent interview, Edwards — author of “I’m Feeling Lucky: The Confessions of Google Employee Number 59″ — said, “It’s hard to see how real change is gonna come when money is still the largest voice in politics.”
- President Obama Talks Jobs at LinkedIn (blogs.wsj.com)
- Google Millionaire Tells Obama: ‘Raise My Taxes, Please!’ (dailyfinance.com)
- Google Veteran Asks Obama to Raise His Taxes (mashable.com)
- Live coverage: President Obama’s visit to Silicon Valley in LinkedIn town hall meeting (mercurynews.com)
- Obama links up with LinkedIn (politico.com)
- A plea to President Obama: ‘Would you please raise my taxes?’ (dailykos.com)
- Latest Obama stage prop: Retired mega-Dem donor/former Google asks prez to raise his taxes (michellemalkin.com)
- Obama Randomly Picks Guy Out of a Crowd For a Question; Just Happens To Be a Rich Guy Who Wants Him To Raise His Taxes (minx.cc)
- Hey Idiot… (fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com)