Prince William and Kate Middleton got a heads up about the raid and thus postponed their honeymoon. Osama Bin Laden worked for the CIA. He is not dead; no, wait—he was already dead. Josh Dzieza on six crazy theories about what really went on with the al Qaeda mastermind…
Al Qaeda’s confirmation of Osama bin Laden’s death will likely damp the conspiracy theories that flared up after the announcement of his killing, even without the release of photographs of the terrorist leader’s body. A vast majority of Americans agree with President Obama’s decision not to release the photos, according to a recent CBS poll, an indication that the public does not require further proof.
But theories continue to burble on fringe blogs and message boards, and given the nature of conspiracy theories, they probably won’t ever disappear entirely. In fact, many of the theories are simply updates to ones that have existed since the September 11 terrorist attacks. The Daily Beast rounded up some of the most popular theories—and some of the strangest.
William and Kate Tipped on bin Laden Killing
Bin Laden’s death bumped the birthers out of the news—it also bumped off the royal wedding. Could there be a connection between the two huge media stories? The Daily Mail thought so, and managed to track down a professor from the University of Buckingham who said he “would not be surprised” if Prince William and Kate Middleton had been forewarned about the top secret raid on bin Laden’s compound. After all, the royal couple postponed their honeymoon just before bin Laden’s death was announced. The Mail even asked a palace spokesman if there was a connection. He insisted there was none.
Bin Laden Worked for the CIA
Self-styled independent journalist James Corbett called the news of bin Laden’s death a “retirement party for an old CIA asset, along the lines of Lee Harvey Oswald in 1963.” Like the theory that bin Laden has long been dead, it’s another story from the 9/11 Truth movement that’s been updated for the news of bin Laden’s killing: bin Laden was always just a scapegoat for the September 11 attacks, and now that he was no longer useful, the CIA decided to tie up the loose ends. “Whether he actually did die yesterday or he’s been dead for years, or whatever the case may be, this is simply discarding a war on terror bogeyman who’s no longer scaring the populace,” according to Corbett. Iranian security official Javad Jahangirzadeh took a similar view, saying that bin Laden had been part of an American plot to create a violent image of Islam, and now that his work is done, he’s been killed.
- Osama bin Laden, my two cents. (gordonacker.wordpress.com)
- Helicopter platform used in Osama Bin Laden raid is undergoing avionics upgrades (crufc.ca)
- Osama Bin Laden Should Not Have Been Killed (socyberty.com)
- Osama Bin Laden’s hideout in Abbottabad made into Counterstrike, fun imminent (haiteq.com)
- New at Reason: Steve Chapman on Osama Bin Laden, Torture, and the War on Terror (reason.com)
- Egypt’s funniest pro-Osama Bin Laden protester [LOLCars] (jalopnik.com)
- People not buying Osama Bin Laden’s Death (frankpaulgambino.com)
- The Conspiracy Theory Osama Bin Laden Mission Impossible “The Video” (frankpaulgambino.com)
- Osama Bin Laden Death Skeptics’ Ranks Grow (huffingtonpost.com)
- ‘Kids React’ to Osama bin Laden’s death: Watch (popwatch.ew.com)
- Conspiracy Theories Run Amok: ‘No, It Was Clearly Not bin Laden’ (jammiewearingfool.blogspot.com)
- “The strange death of Osama bin Laden: Why the conspiracy theories matter” and related posts (nalert.blogspot.com)
- Randi Rhodes: Bush Knew Bin Laden’s Location, Protected Him There (radioequalizer.blogspot.com)
- On Osama bin Laden and conspiracy theories (shortformblog.tumblr.com)