After the bombshell announcement that a Waukesha County clerk forgot to report thousands of votes in Wisconsin’s Supreme Court election, Rep. Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.) is asking U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to involve the federal government in the ongoing investigation.
Last Tuesday’s election, which pitted conservative incumbent David Prosser against progressive candidate JoAnne Kloppenburg, appeared to end with Kloppenburg winning by a razor-thin margin, with initial results showing her just a couple of hundred votes ahead. But on Thursday, Waukesha County Clerk Kathy Nickolaus held a dramatic press conference and admitted that she had forgotten to report the votes of the city of Brookfield. The adjusted total gave Prosser a 7,500-vote advantage.
On Friday evening, Baldwin sent a letter to Holder, saying that many of her constituents had expressed concern about the announcement. She requested that the Department of Justice’s Public Integrity Section, which oversees the federal prosecution of election crimes, investigate the handling of Waukesha County’s vote records.
“For our democracy to endure, we, the people, must have faith in its laws and system of justice, including faith that our elections for public office are fair and free from any manipulating or tampering,” wrote Baldwin. “Following this week’s election for the Wisconsin Supreme Court, numerous constituents have contacted me expressing serious doubt that this election was a free and fair one. They fear, as I do, that political interests are manipulating the results.”
- Our congresswoman Tammy Baldwin asks U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to investigate Wisconsin. (althouse.blogspot.com)
- Rep. Baldwin Wants The Government To Investigate Wisconsin’s Supreme Court Election (businessinsider.com)
- What’s next in the Wisconsin Supreme Court election dramarama? (shortformblog.tumblr.com)
- Tammy Baldwin Asks for Investigation of Wisconsin Election (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin Asks U.S. Attorney General To Investigate Supreme Court Election (dekerivers.wordpress.com)
- WI Rep. Calls for Federal Investigation Into Suprise Votes (news.change.org)
- Doubts in the Wisconsin Supreme Court Election That Should be Investigated (via Frederica Cade’s Blog) (fredericacade.wordpress.com)
- Wisconsin Supreme court: Kloppenburg to file open records request in Waukesha County (dailykos.com)
- Results of Wisconsin Supreme Court race reveal new winner (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)