I already addressed this issue when Justices Scalia and Thomas were attendees at a conservative event, which appeared to be squarely outside the realm of Judicial decor to say the least and at best actionable in terms of possible impeachment.
Not to mention Scalia’s hunting trip with then Vice President Cheney just three weeks after the court agreed to take up the vice president’s appeal in lawsuits over his handling of the administration’s energy task force. Now this…
Ten years ago, in a display of judicial activism unprecedented in American history, Justice Antonin Scalia engineered the Bush-v-Gore ruling that handed the presidency to a Republican who had lost the nation’s popular vote and was threatened with defeat in a Florida recount. Scalia’s moves removed any serious doubt about his partisan preference.
Now, however, the justice has removed any doubt about his ideological preference within the Republican Party, with an announcement that he will be meeting with—and, undoubtedly, providing talking points for—Michele Bachmann’s Tea (Party)-stained “Constitutional Conservative Caucus.”
Scalia, the most determined activist on a high court that has been redefined by its results-oriented conservative majority, will deliver the inaugural address to the right-wing representatives as part of a speaker series that features no less a constitutional scholar than Fox News host Sean Hannity.
Sergio Gor, a spokesman for Bachmann, revealed Tuesday that his boss—a Minnesota Republican so extreme in her views that her fellow Republicans rebuffed her run for the chairmanship of the House Republican Caucus—has been meeting privately with Scalia. It was at one such session that the congresswoman invited the justice to address her new group. More…
- Michele Bachmann: Scalia Will Teach Constitution Class (huffingtonpost.com)
- Justice Scalia Will Teach Tea Party’s Constitution Class [Video] (gawker.com)
- Justice Antonin Scalia Says ‘Yes’ to Tea Party Invitation (politicsdaily.com)
- The fine line of politics (timesunion.com)
- Video: Antonin Scalia to teach Michele Bachmann’s Constitution class (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Ruth Marcus: Judges walk fine line of politics (commercialappeal.com)
- Made for these times (ynative77.wordpress.com)
- Scalia accepts Bachmann’s invitation? (washingtonmonthly.com)
- Scalia to address Bachmann’s group (politico.com)
- Antonin Scalia: The 14th Amendment Should Not Apply To Homosexuals (pinkbananaworld.com)