The fact is…the “church” is bullying LeRoy Butler.
LeRoy Butler, former safety for the Green Bay Packers, was scheduled to give an anti-bullying presentation at a Wisconsin church this summer, but now the speech is off because he supported Jason Collins for coming out this week. Butler shared the following in a series of tweetstoday:
Wow, I was schedule to speak at a church in WI, and a member said that the pastor wants to cancel my event, I said ok why? Then I was told, because I said congrats to Jason Collins on twitter, I said really? we have a contract, he said check the moral cause. FYI the fee was 8500$,then I was told if i removed the tweet, and apologize and ask god forgiveness, I can have the event, I said no.
I found out what happened, I guess some parents went to the church and complained about my tweet for support of Jason Collins, so sad.
Butler believes the church’s decision constitutes bullying. In fact, when he tried to resolve the situation with the church’s pastor by saying, “We agree to disagree,” the anti-gay pastor countered, “No, I’m right and you’re wrong.”
Butler’s controversial tweet?
Congrats to Jason Collins
— leroy butler (@leap36) April 29, 2013
It’s too bad; it sounds like this church could use the kind of anti-bullying lesson Butler has to offer.
- NBA Center Jason Collins Comes Out As Gay (1045theteam.com)
- A Friendly Reminder of Why Jason Collins’ Announcement Matters (thefarmclub.net)
- Celebs tweet their support for Jason Collins (doublenewsflash.com)
- Barack Calls, Michelle Tweets Jason Collins After He Comes Out (breitbart.com)
- Several “First Gay Things” Jason Collins is Not (misanthropology101.wordpress.com)
- Mike Wallace Is The Early Leader In Dumb Reactions To Jason Collins’ Outing (kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com)