I don’t know who this McCarthy-like character, Senator Ted Cruz think he is but rest assured he picked on the wrong Senator yesterday…
On Thursday, the Senate Judiciary Committee approved the so-called assault weapons ban on a party-line vote, paving the way for the full chamber to vote on the measure as early as next week. But not before Sen. Ted Cruz, the freshman Republican from Texas, aimed to give Sen. Dianne Feinstein, the five-term Democrat from California, a lesson about the Bill of Rights. He suggested that it was a slippery slope from banning bazookas to banning books. Feinstein was not impressed.
Here’s the text of some of Feinstein’s remarks:
Let me just make a couple points in response. One: I’m not a sixth-grader. Senator, I’ve been on this committee for 20 years. I was a mayor for nine years. I walked in and I saw people shot. I’ve looked at bodies that have been shot with these weapons. I’ve seen the bullets that implode. In Sandy Hook, youngsters were dismembered. Look, there were other weapons. I’m not a lawyer, but in 20 years I’ve been up close and personal to the Constitution. I have great respect for it. This doesn’t mean that weapons of war—and the Heller decision clearly points out three exceptions, two of which are pertinent here—and so I, you know, it’s fine you want to lecture me on the Constitution. I appreciate it. Just know that I’ve been here for a long time. I’ve passed on a number of bills. I’ve studied the Constitution myself. I am reasonably well educated… Incidentally, this does not prohibit—you use the word “prohibit”—it exempts two thousand two hundred and seventy one weapons. Isn’t that enough for the people of the United States? Do they need a bazooka?
- ‘Reasonably well educated’ Dianne Feinstein tells CNN she felt patronized by Ted Cruz (twitchy.com)
- Ted Cruz And Dianne Feinstein Battle In Explosive Debate Over Gun Control In Senate: ‘I Am Not A 6th Grader’ (mediaite.com)
- Dianne Feinstein clashes sharply with Tea Partier Ted Cruz (sfgate.com)
- Cruz attacks Feinstein as assault weapons ban clears committee (tv.msnbc.com)
- Dianne Feinstein Tells Ted Cruz, ‘I Am Not A 6th Grader’ During A Heated Gun Control Hearing (businessinsider.com)
- Cruz, Feinstein tangle over 2nd Amendment as panel approves assault-weapons ban (foxnews.com)
- Dianne Feinstein Keeps Lighting Into Ted Cruz: He ‘Patronized’ Me (businessinsider.com)
- Andrea Mitchell Trashes Ted Cruz Who Was ‘Dressed Down’ By Dianne Feinstein: ‘This Was Not A Fair Fight’ (mediaite.com)