Less than two weeks after the Department of Justice found widespread lawlessness and abuse of Latinos by Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio and his deputies, an Arizona federal judge ordered Arpaio to end one of his most abusive practices — detaining and arresting people who have committed no crime merely because his office suspects them of being undocumented.
The court also certified this lawsuit against Arpaio as a class action, thereby empowering any Latino stopped or detained by Arpaio’s office since 2007 or at any point in the future to enforce the court order.
- Federal Judge Orders Sheriff Arpaio To Stop Arresting People Simply Because He Thinks They Are Undocumented (thinkprogress.org)
- Judge Rules Against Sheriff Joe (huffingtonpost.com)
- Judge rules against Arizona sheriff in immigrant stops (vancouversun.com)
- America’s ‘Toughest Sheriff’ Dealt Another Setback (huffingtonpost.com)
- Arizona Sheriff Faces New Setback Over Immigration (abcnews.go.com)
- Immigration Patrols Face Another Setback (myfoxphoenix.com)
- Man Brain Dead After ‘Excessive Force’ Used At Jail Overseen By Arpaio (kaystreet.wordpress.com)