During the intense public battle with public employee unions last month, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) received an intriguing email from an admirer claiming to be a deputy prosecutor from Indiana. The email suggested that Walker should fake an attack on himself, in order to create sympathy for his cause and damage the reputation of the unions. The Wisconsin Center for Investigative Journalism has the email:
The e-mail was signed by “Carlos F. Lam.” WCIJ did some digging and discovered that indeed, there is a Carlos F. Lam who is a GOP public official in Indiana. He is a deputy prosecutor in Johnson County, Indiana — which is the same area the e-mail was sent from, according to its IP information. Lam also has a history of anti-union comments online: he’s written that Indiana is “an unsustainable public worker gravy train bubble.” In another, he said “unions & companies that feed at the gov’t trough will fight tooth & nail against anything that un-feathers their nests.”
WCIJ contacted Lam and asked him if the Hotmail address on the email belongs to him. Lam confirmed that it does — but categorically denied sending the email. “I am flabbergasted and would never advocate for something like this, and would like everyone to be sure that that’s just not me,” he said, after being read the email. He said he plans to file a police report about the matter this week.
Oddly, the email was sent on the very same day that another Indiana law enforcement official tweeted out violent plans for the protests. Jeffrey Cox, a deputy attorney general for the state, tweeted that police should “use live ammunition” against the protestors. He was fired the next day – but for now, Lam’s boss is backing him. “He didn’t send it,” he told WCIJ.
- Indiana Prosecutor Suggested Scott Walker Fake Attack On Himself To Discredit Unions (huffingtonpost.com)
- What Is Up with Wingers in Indiana? (talkingpointsmemo.com)
- Gov. Walker Urged To Use ‘False Flag’ Operation During Union Protests (dekerivers.wordpress.com)
- Indiana Prosecutor Resigns After Email To Gov Walker Encouraging Fake Violence (crooksandliars.com)
- Scott Walker knowingly lied regarding opinions of Wisconsin Voters (iflizwerequeen.com)
- Majority of early emails sent to Scott Walker were oppositional (dailykos.com)
- “Billionaire Koch Brothers Bankrolled Scott Walker’s Campaign: Out of State Big Money Agenda Guides Union Busting Efforts” and related posts (faithfulprogressive.blogspot.com)