An ugly story may be getting uglier.
The Blaze, a right-wing site started by Glenn Beck, has a post up insinuating that Trayvon Martin may have been a dangerous criminal.
Martin, who was black, was walking back to his father’s house after a trip to the convenience store in Sanford, Fla. on February 26. George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch member who was identified by his father as Hispanic, called 911 and told the dispatchers that the teen “looked suspicious.”
Despite being told by the dispatchers not to engage the teen, Zimmerman left his car and approached Martin. Neighbors called into 911 to report a scuffle, some cries for help, and gunshots. When police arrived, Zimmerman admitted to shooting Martin, who was unarmed, but claimed that he acted in self-defense. Zimmerman has not been arrested or charged, and the incident has attracted national attention.
“I can’t for the life of me understand how they can justify not making an arrest!” Sharpton said on a recent episode of his MSNBC show, “Politics Nation.”
But Mytheos Holt, an associate editor at the Blaze, chided Sharpton “for being too willing to exploit racial controversy” and for dismissing claim of self-defense Zimmerman. Holt went further and criticized Trayvon Martin by insinuating that the slain teen was a troublemaker.
- Glenn Beck Website Blames Trayvon Martin for His Own Killing (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Did Trayvon Martin’s Shooter George Zimmerman Use a Racial Epithet When Calling 911? (reason.com)
- Details Continue To Emerge In Trayvon Martin Case As Family Seeks Justice (hiphopwired.com)
- Trayvon Martin: Time for a Gun-Policy Debate (theroot.com)
- Larry Elder: Trayvon Martin Case Is A ‘Civil Matter,’ Not A Criminal One (mediaite.com)
- Trayvon Martin: Justice Department, FBI to Investigate Florida’s Black Teen Death (ibtimes.com)
- Teen spoke with his girlfriend while watch captain followed – Detroit Free Press (freep.com)
- Was Trayvon Martin Targeted For Being Black? (npr.org)