Sweden

More Babies Die in America on Their First Day Than Anywhere Else in Industrialized World

AlterNet

America has the highest death rate for newborns on their first day in the industrialized world, according to the annual “Surviving the First Day” report published by Save the Children, an international aid group. An estimated 11,300 babies don’t make it past their first day in the United States. “This is 50 percent more first-day deaths than all other industrialized countries combined,”write the authors of the report. 

A baby born in America is 4 times more likely to die on their first day than a child born in countries with the lowest rate of mortality. Iceland, Sweden, and Luxembourg have the lowest rate of first day mortality, while Canada and Switzerland rank as the second and third worst places to be a newborn, after the US.
Why does the “richest country in the world” do so poorly by its children? Like many matters of life and death in America, the answer appears to lie in extreme wealth inequality: the well off are far more likely to have quality pre-natal care. The report notes that the number 1 cause of newborn death is premature birth, which is more likely to happen to teen mothers. Teen mothers are more likely to give premature birth in part because they get worse prenatal care, because they are more likely to be poor.
The report points out that poor and minority women in general are more likely to have babies that are underweight and to give premature birth.  “Poverty, racism and stress are likely to be important contributing factors to first-day deaths in the United States and other industrialized countries,” they write.

Confirmed: WikiLeaks’ next target is Bank of America, Assange says

Logo used by Wikileaks

Image via Wikipedia

Now this should be interesting, and less intimidating to the U.S. Government…uh, on second thought…

Raw Story

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said Tuesday the Swedish women who have accused him of sexual assault had got into a “tizzy” about the possibility they had caught a sexually transmitted disease from him.

Assange told the BBC that one account of what happened in August — the month at the centre of allegations against him — was that the two women had panicked when they found out they had both slept with him and went to police who “bamboozled” them.

He insisted he was fighting a Swedish extradition warrant because he believes “no natural justice” would occur in Sweden.

“There are some serious problems with the Swedish prosecution,” he said in an interview from the mansion of a wealthy supporter in eastern England where he must stay as part of his bail conditions.

Sweden wants Britain to extradite the 39-year-old Australian to face questioning over allegations from two women that he raped one of them and sexually assaulted the other in Stockholm in August.

Assange claimed that the Swedish authorities had asked that his Swedish lawyer be “gagged”, adding that his offers to be interviewed by video link or by Swedish officials in Britain had been rejected.

“I don’t need to be at the beck and call of people making allegations,” he said.   More…

Julian Assange Bail GRANTED; WikiLeaks Founder Back In Court

Julian Assange (2)

Image by bbwbryant via Flickr

Update:  Julian Assange remains in jail as Sweden appeals against bail decision

Huffington Post

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is back in court today, and has been granted bail by a British judge. He has been in a British prison for a week after being denied bail last week. Assange is wanted for questioning for alleged sex crimes involving two women in Sweden. It is thought that one of the women, Anna Ardin, may no longer be cooperating with prosecutors.

Assange released a statement from prison via his mother saying that Visa, MasterCard and PayPal are “instruments of U.S. foreign policy.” He also said:

My convictions are unfaltering. I remain true to the ideals I have expressed. This circumstance shall not shake them. If anything this process has increased my determination that they are true and correct.

Assange threatens to release ‘poison pill’ if arrested or killed

Real life cloak and dagger drama…

Raw Story

There is a new threat from the founder of the whistleblower website WikiLeaks.

Julian Assange will release a “poison pill” that contains a “deluge” of secret information if he is killed, arrested or his website is permanently shut down, Daily Mail reports.

“Due to recent attacks on our infrastructure, we’ve decided to make sure everyone can reach our content. As part of this process we’re releasing archived copy of all files we ever released,” WikiLeaks said in a message on its site.

WikiLeaks says it has another 250,000 cables it plans to gradually release over coming months — if it can.

Anticipating the US attempts to block it though, WikiLeaks has taken the precaution of posting a big, 1.4-gigabyte file encrypted with a 256-digit key said to be unbreakable.

Titled “insurance.aes256″, the file was big enough to contain all the US cables said to be in WikiLeaks’s possession.

The encryption makes it unreadable until the key is supplied — at which time all its contents would be available to those who downloaded it from torrent-feeding sites such as ThePirateBay.org.

“It’s a ticking time bomb with a remote fuse,” one expert told NBC News. “So this bomb can go off the second that they release the key and the key will spread around the internet in a matter of seconds.”

Appearing on the BBC, Assange’s lawyer defended the move. “They need to protect themselves,” Mark Stephens said. This is what they believe to be a thermo-nuclear device effectively in the electronic age.”

WikiLeaks has been under constant cyber attacks since it began releasing the secret US diplomatic cables.

Continue reading here…

‘WikiLeaks WON’T be stopped': Founder reveals 100,000 encrypted versions of secret files have been

Daily Mail

  • Assange says he’s taking ‘precautions’ due to death threats
  • Cables sent to 100,000 other people in case ‘something happens’
  • Website down for six hours after American firm pulls plug
  • Suspicions it acted under pressure from Obama administration
  • Scotland Yard won’t comment about arrest of founder
  • France becomes first country to attempt to ban website

The founder of WikiLeaks today revealed he has sent out 100,000 encrypted copies of secret diplomatic cables so they will definitely be released whatever happens to him.

Julian Assange, breaking his silence in an online question and answer session, acknowledged there had been death threats against him and his colleagues because of the damaging leaks.

He told for the first time of the insurance policy he had put in place to ensure that his whistleblowing website will not be silenced, whatever drastic steps may be taken by his enemies.

Mr. Assange also hailed the young American soldier suspected of leaking the classified U.S. cables as an ‘unparalleled hero’.

The session came as he was still in hiding in Britain. The Australian is wanted in Sweden for questioning over sexual assault allegations but Scotland Yard has yet to arrest him.

‘The threats against our lives are a matter of public record. However, we are taking the appropriate precautions to the degree that we are able when dealing with a superpower,’ he said.

All the leaked American diplomatic cables as well as ‘significant material from the U.S. and other countries’ has been copied to more than 100,000 people in encrypted form, he added.

‘If something happens to us, the key parts will be released automatically,’ he wrote.

Continue reading here…

Julian Assange WALKS OUT Of CNN Interview (VIDEO)

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange walked out of an interview with CNN in London.

Huffington Post

Julian Assange, who was being interviewed to discuss the 400,000 pages of documents WikiLeaks released about the Iraq War, grew upset when interviewer Atika Shubert asked about his personal legal issues. Assange was investigated in Sweden on charges of sexual abuse that were then dropped, but the investigation was re-opened shortly thereafter.

“This interview is about something else,” Assange told Shubert. “I’m going to walk if you’re going to contaminate us revealing the deaths of 104,000 people with attacks against my person.”

Assange repeatedly threatened to walk off, calling Shubert’s questions about his personal life “completely disgusting.”

As Shubert persisted, Assange apologized, removed his mic and walked off the set.

WATCH:

Wikileaks Founder Has Massacre Video?

Daily Beast

Julian Assange, who Pentagon investigators fear may soon release State Dept. secrets, denies having them—but says he’s readying video of a deadly U.S. airstrike in Afghanistan.

After several days underground, the founder of the secretive website Wikileaks has gone public to disclose that he is preparing to release a classified Pentagon video of a U.S. airstrike in Afghanistan last year that left as many as 140 civilians dead, most of them children and teenagers.

In an email obtained by The Daily Beast that was sent to Wikileaks supporters in the United States Tuesday, Julian Assange, the website’s Australian-born founder, also defends a 22-year-old Army intelligence specialist who is now under arrest in Kuwait on charges that he leaked classified Pentagon combat videos, as well as 260,000 State Department cables, to Wikileaks.

“Mr. Manning allegedly also sent us 260,000 classified US Department cables, reporting on the actions of US Embassy’s [sic] engaging in abusive actions all over the world,” Assange said in an email. “We have denied the allegation, but the US government is acting as if the allegation is true.”

American officials have said they are eager to determine the whereabouts of Assange, who canceled an appearance last Friday in Las Vegas, to discourage him from releasing any more classified information on his website, which is nominally based in Sweden and promotes itself as a global resource for whistleblowers. As recently as two weeks ago, Assange, who first gained global notoriety as a computer hacker, was in his native Australia.

In April, his website posted a copy of a classified Pentagon video of a 2007 American helicopter attack in Baghdad in which a dozen people were killed; that video is also believed to have been leaked by the Army intelligence analyst, Specialist Bradley Manning of Potomac, Maryland.

While denying again that Wikileaks has the State Department cables, Assange acknowledges in the email today that he is in custody of the May 2009 video that shows the airstrike on the Afghan village of Garani, believed to be the most lethal combat strike in Afghanistan—in terms of civilian deaths—since the United States invaded the country in 2001. Assange writes that “we are still working on” preparations for release of the video of “the Garani massacre.”

The State Department and Pentagon did not immediately comment on Assange’s email message.  Continue reading…