Posted: 7-6-2011 - Updated: 7-7-2011
House Republicans are crashing President Barack Obama’s Twitter Town Hallon Wednesday by flooding the event with questions of their own about what they’re calling his “failed” economic policies.
Hours ahead of Obama’s first-ever Twitter event, during which he will answer questions from people around the country on jobs and the economy, House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) launched a live stream feed of GOP questions for the president.
Several high-level House Republicans piled their questions into the feed throughout the morning and will continue to do so throughout Obama’s event, which starts at 2 p.m EST. The White House has been publicizing the event for more than a week and telling people to reference “#askobama” when pitching their Twitter questions to the president. Republicans are now pouncing on that hashtag.
“Reducing spending, creating jobs and reinvigorating our economy are what #HouseGOP are focused on, what about the administration? #askobama,” tweeted Ways and Means Chairman Dave Camp (R-Mich.).
“#AskObama Senate hasn’t passed a budget in 798 days. House passed plan 2 lift debt&spur job creation–what is your jobs plan?” Budget Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) tweeted.
Oversight and Government Reform Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) joined in, writing, “#AskObama: how are your job-crushing #regulations helping #smallbiz owners like Neil? VIDEO: http://bit.ly/kSU6UI #4jobs.”
Republicans are also using the event to direct Twitter followers to their own GOP jobs plan, at jobs.GOP.gov.
“We’re excited the President is taking questions on jobs and the economy,” Boehner spokesman Brendan Buck told The Huffington Post. “He’s got a lot of questions to answer — starting with, ‘Where are the jobs?’”
- The Best #AskObama Questions from Obama’s Twitter Town Hall (blogs.sfweekly.com)
- Commander-in-Tweet: Obama answers voters’ questions in Twitter town hall (windsorstar.com)
- Republicans, U.S. Chamber ‘crash’ President Obama Twitter Town Hall (politicore.wordpress.com)
- Obama holds Twitter town hall with #AskObama (summitcountyvoice.com)
- Paul Ryan Challenges Obama To Debate Over Debt Crisis (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- So was the Twitter Town Hall better than a regular one? (gigaom.com)
- Twitter Town Hall to combine live streaming with big data analysis (gigaom.com)