Tag Archives: President
The White House has officially responded to the ‘We the People’ petition to commit the US to building a Death Star.
Best line: “Why would we spend countless taxpayer dollars on a Death Star with a fundamental flaw that can be exploited by a one-man starship?”
Next best: “The Administration does not support blowing up planets,” which may represent a slight shift from the position of the previous administration.
The White House’s full response:
- White House turns down Death Star petition; millions of voices cry out in terror, suddenly silenced (blogs.suntimes.com)
- White House responds to petition to build a Death Star: ‘The Administration does not support blowing up planets’ (popwatch.ew.com)
- This Isn’t the Petition Response You’re Looking For – Or The White House is Full of NERDS (fabgenius.com)
- White House Responds To Death Star Petition: ‘The Administration Does Not Support Blowing Up Planets’ (kotaku.com)
My preference would be Hawaii, but common sense says Obama’s Presidential Library will be in Chicago where he started his political career.
Chicago Tribune: “Though Obama has not commented publicly about his plans for a library, every president since Herbert Hoover has established an archive in his home state to house papers from his White House tenure. That means the race could come down to Chicago — the city Obama most recently called home — and Honolulu — the city where he was born.”
“If Chicago is selected, the next hurdle would be to determine where the facility would be built. An Obama library likely would not open before the end of the decade, but already it is a hot commodity because of the prestige and economic vitality it would bring to the community.”
Rachel Maddow Describes Obama’s Accomplishments:
- Cities Already Seeking Obama Library (politicalwire.com)
- Chicago’s Bronzeville neighborhood among city sites seeking Obama library (sacbee.com)
- Obama and family arrive in Hawaii for Christmas (utsandiego.com)
- Historically Black Chicago Neighborhood Wants Obama Presidential Library (infodocket.com)
- Obama and family arrive in Hawaii for Christmas (sfgate.com)
I’m happy that the president and the First Family were able to get away to Hawaii for Christmas…
Its been a tough week for all of us – no one more so than our President. As I’ve watched him battle the tears over the loss of our babies only to have to switch gears to take on the lunatic fringe in Congress, I’ve been spending some time thinking about how grateful I am that he is willing to represent us by taking this all on. I can’t imagine another human being I’d rather have in the White House at this moment in history.
And so, with the press conference completed, he’ll be heading off to Hawaii for a much-deserved break (I hope!) I have nothing more to give him as a token of my gratitude than to wish him “Mele Kalikimaka.”
Oh, and one more thing…
I’d like to once again repeat something Alice Walker wrote to President Obama shortly after he was elected.
I would advise you to remember that you did not create the disaster that the world is experiencing, and you alone are not responsible for bringing the world back to balance. A primary responsibility that you do have, however, is to cultivate happiness in your own life. To make a schedule that permits sufficient time of rest and play with your gorgeous wife and lovely daughters. And so on. One gathers that your family is large. We are used to seeing men in the White House soon become juiceless and as white-haired as the building; we notice their wives and children looking strained and stressed. They soon have smiles so lacking in joy that they remind us of scissors. This is no way to lead. Nor does your family deserve this fate. One way of thinking about all this is: It is so bad now that there is no excuse not to relax. From your happy, relaxed state, you can model real success, which is all that so many people in the world really want. They may buy endless cars and houses and furs and gobble up all the attention and space they can manage, or barely manage, but this is because it is not yet clear to them that success is truly an inside job. That it is within the reach of almost everyone…
Because, finally, it is the soul that must be preserved, if one is to remain a credible leader. All else might be lost; but when the soul dies, the connection to earth, to peoples, to animals, to rivers, to mountain ranges, purple and majestic, also dies. And your smile, with which we watch you do gracious battle with unjust characterizations, distortions and lies, is that expression of healthy self-worth, spirit and soul, that, kept happy and free and relaxed, can find an answering smile in all of us, lighting our way, and brightening the world.
I wrote about this not so long ago here.
At that time I mentioned how President Bush actually started the precedent during his administration. Apparently, Fox News never got the memo…
- Laura Ingraham Newsletter Blasts Obama/MSNBC Meeting, Despite Her 2006 Visit To Bush White House (mediaite.com)
- With Sean Hannity Getting Stomped In the Ratings Fox News Attacks Rachel Maddow (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Bush Says Immigrants Vital to Economy – Fox News (latino.foxnews.com)
- Laura Ingraham in a fix (politico.com)
- O’Reilly Erases Bush’s Debt To Launch False Attack On Obama (mediamatters.org)
- Fox Host Outraged that Obama Met With MSNBC Anchors, Conveniently Forgets She Did the Same During the Bush Years (jezebel.com)
The top quotes in politics …
“I guess I shouldn’t call politicians names.” — Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin apologizing for calling Republicans “wusses.”
“It’s magic beans and fairy dust.” — White House press secretary Jay Carney knocking the GOP fiscal cliff plan.
“Has the president seen ‘The Devil Wears Prada?’” — ABC’s Jake Tapper at Wednesday’s White House briefing.
“Oh I gotta do the hashtag.” — President Barack Obama navigating Twitter.
“I’m not doing that dance again.” — Former Sen. Alan Simpson putting ”Gangnam Style” behind him.
“Thank you, Mr. Secretary.” — Sen. John McCain introducing Sen. John Kerry.
“Thank you very much, Mr. President.” — Sen. John Kerry responding to McCain.
Oh, Mr. President. Be afraid, be very afraid. Not…
In a Sunday roundtable discussion on NBC’s “Meet The Press,” Norquist issued a warning to President Barack Obama.
“Tea party two is going to dwarf tea party one if Obama pushes us off the cliff,” Norquist said. “Let’s not pretend who’s pushing us over the cliff.”
Thanks to his anti-tax pledge, Norquist has been a prime target since fiscal cliff discussions picked up steam in November. Democrats have gone so far as to create an online petition against Norquist.
Several Republicans, headed by Sens. Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.) and Lindsey Graham(R-S.C.) have broken away from Norquist’s pledge. Despite those movements,Norquist vowed last Monday that “nobody is turning on me.”
- Grover Norquist: Beware of a second tea party wave (washingtonpost.com)
- Norquist promises second coming of Tea Party (tv.msnbc.com)
- Norquist Dares Obama: Put Fiscal Cliff Negotiations On TV (patdollard.com)
- Grover Norquist Has ‘Tea Party Two’ Warning For Obama (huffingtonpost.com)
- Norquist: Put fiscal cliff talks on TV (politico.com)
“Uh, President Obama can’t run again so he isn’t going to be beaten by Christie” (me)
“Then Christie will win regardless.”
“How? Do you think the Democrats won’t run anyone for President in 2016?”
“He saved NJ, no one will beat him”
(Puts face in hand and wonders how people tasked with important jobs can be so ignorant) He hasn’t saved anything, NJ is a long way off from recovery, and people are pissed at how slaw it’s taking along the shore” .
“He’ll still win.”
(I start to smile) Do you know who Hillary Clinton is?
The terror that began to creep over her face was priceless.
You Liberals will all burn in hell and off she stomped.
This was the Fundie who stated recently her sole purpose on Earth is to make babies, but she can’t so instead of adopting a non-white baby she’s off and running with fertility treatments, so far unsuccessfully.
She came over when she saw my Michelle & the President desktop background today. She thought it was inappropriate and was madder than a witch who fell off her broom.
Couldn’t post earlier, ownership was in today to tell us that because of the power failure that caused us to close for four days, we were losing Christmas eve day and News Years Eve Day and had to work, even though they didn’t pay us for those days.
We’ll never get them back.
I hate fucking Republicans.