I’m still stunned and speechless over Donald Trump’s chest thumping response to the President literally caving in to this clown and the people that believed him when he said that there were questions about the President’s birthplace. The Huffington Post’s Jason Linkins and The Onion’s Baratunde Thurston seem to channel my thoughts on the matter…
O tempora, o mores, what a day, what a day, right? This morning’s tilt-a-whirl news conference, in which President Barack Obama decided to release his long form birth certificate, to satiate some pure-bred American nutters in thrall to the President’s most disingenuous — or paranoid — opponents, was an event I never thought would come, because I just figured that the White House had the eminent good sense to know that conspiracists should not be negotiated with – just like terrorists.
But here we are today. The President of the United States has brandished documentation that only proved that there was never a compelling reason to brandish it in the first place, seeing as it only proved what he and every relevant official and the documents that were publicly available had already confirmed: that Barack Obama was born in Hawaii, a pure citizen of these United States.
Chances are it was a confluence of dumb events that brought the White House to this point. A nearly-enacted law in Arizona that wouldn’t have been satisfied with the clear proof already available. A campaign season on the horizon. Ed Henry’s idiotic questions, posed a day after his own network decided to actually debunk the nonsense once and for all. Franklin Graham’s paranoid assertions going unchallenged on a Sunday Morning political show. I think I understand Obama’s mindset when he said this:
“We do not have time for this kind of silliness. We have better stuff to do. I have got better stuff to do. We have got big problems to solve…We are not going to be able to do it if we are distracted, we are not going to be able to do it if we spend time vilifying each other … if we just make stuff up and pretend that facts are not facts, we are not going to be able to solve our problems if we get distracted by side shows and carnival barkers.
I’ll leave you with the thoughts of The Onion‘s Baratunde Thurston, who basically just went off today when he heard what was happening. Of Trump’s birther binge, Thurston says, “It’s embarrassing to the entire nation that we would sit and let this happen. We have all been debased by this incident. By this charlatan, by this con man, by this mere promoter of himself.”
“No one has ever asked [Trump] to prove anything,” Thurston points out. That should change!
- Donald Trump’s Obama Rants To Be Made Into A Movie (ranknews.wordpress.com)
- You’re Next, Donald Trump (huffingtonpost.com)
- Donald Jackass Trump (democracyforum.blogspot.com)
- Donald Trump Responds to Obama Birth Certificate (VIDEO) (blippitt.com)
- Barack Obama Birth Certificate Released; Donald Trump Immediately Takes Credit (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- Donald Trump Gets “Trumped!” (wwwclara54.wordpress.com)
- Rosie O’Donnell vs. Donald Trump…Again? (eonline.com)
- Birthers: Racist (Part II) (themoderatevoice.com)
- Donald Trump On Obama’s Long Form Birth Certificate: ‘I Hope Its True’ (mediaite.com)
- Cher Has No Filter When It Comes To Donald Trump! (perezhilton.com)
- The View Takes On Donald Trump In Regards To Latest Certificate News (perezhilton.com)
- Donald Trump: Obama was a terrible student (pumabydesign001.wordpress.com)