These people are nuts!
A spokesman for Rep. Nan Hayworth (R-N.Y.) is facing criticism after advocating violence against female Democratic senators in a Facebook post.
Jay Townsend, the official campaign spokesman for the freshman representative, went on a vicious online rant on Saturday, which he began by taunting a constituent who voiced criticism about an earlier post on gas prices. “Listen to Tom. What a little bee he has in his bonnet. Buzz Buzz,” Townsend wrote.
“My question today… when is Tommy boy going to weigh in on all the Lilly Ledbetter hypocrites who claim to be fighting the War on Women? Let’s hurl some acid at those female democratic Senators who won’t abide the mandates they want to impose on the private sector.”
He attached a link to a Free Beacon article that claims female senators pay their male staffers more than their female staffers.
A moderator of the NY19 U.S. House of Representatives Civil Discussion Center page responded to Townsend, asking him to “please refrain from calling our members names.” The unnamed moderator also asked if Hayworth knew about his comments or whether he had “gone rogue.”
Comments from outraged constituents quickly followed. “’Hurl some acid’ Jay Townsend? Do you realize what that means?” wrote one person. “Acid attacks are particularly brutal, aimed almost solely at women, with the intent to maim and disfigure. I couldn’t imagine a worse piece of invective from someone who puts the Republican war on women in quotes.”
Another commenter: “Mr. Townsend, do you think we live in Afghanistan?”
Richard Becker, a Democrat running to challenge Hayworth this year, released a statement on Townsend’s incendiary comments.
- Despite top Democrat concerns, WH spox Jay Carney sounds clueless about Castro visit brouhaha (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- Dems’ Plan B: Resurrect War on Women (commentarymagazine.com)
- CAUGHT ON TAPE: The GOP’s Woman Problem (thinkprogress.org)
- Jay Cost on the Politics of Patronage (collectedmiscellany.com)
- Madigan hands HB 1673 over to the GOP. But this is a Democratic Party heist. (preaprez.wordpress.com)
- Townsend announces retirement from state juvenile corrections system (statesman.com)