Even though he will not be part of Current TV’s transition into Al Jazeera America, Viewpoint host John Fugelsang still insisted on defending the nascent network against the right-wing trolling that has followed its impending launch.
“Even though I work for Current, I was getting called a terrorist on Twitter every day by the jackal pack man-children of Michelle Malkin’s Twitchy site,” Fugelsang said he told network executives. “I even met Herman Cain a few months ago — he tried to explain that by being a U.S. ally, Qatar is just trying to lull us into a false state of security so they could do something.”
In the end, Fugelsang argued, the Islamophobia behind the “right wing insanely fake Christian hate-monkey trolls” is not going to matter.
“They’re gonna launch, the channel will evolve and grow, and the people who really believe Obama’s really a Muslim will also believe coddling the wealthy, cutting programs for the poor, invading countries that never attacked us and hating those who are different are Christian,” he said.
He also revisited his past criticism of the hate directed toward the company’s home-base of Qatar, a U.S. military ally visited by then-President George W. Bush in 2003. And while he acknowledged that the network’s Middle Eastern broadcasts contain elements of homophobia and anti-Semitism, the same could be said of Fox News.
“I know you guys are easily confused; most of you think “Rwanda” was J.J’s sister on Good Times,” Fugelsang said to conservatives. “But Al Jazeera America represents something more than news that isn’t profit or ratings driven — they represent foreign investment in a country where the two-party system outsourced your jobs. They represent facts over opinion and they represent our cultures coming together just a little more, whether you bigots like it or not.”
Watch Fugelsang stick up for Al Jazeera America, aired Monday on Current.
- Fugelsang defends Al Jazeera America against ‘right wing insanely fake Christian hate-monkey trolls’ (rawstory.com)
- John Fugelsang: How to call out an ignorant racist when others are too polite (current.com)
- John Fugelsang: Vote Liz Cheney for president of the Lucky Sperm Club (current.com)
- John Fugelsang: ‘We’re in the golden age of slut-shaming’ (current.com)
- Al Jazeera America Names Sports, Docu Unit Execs (m.deadline.com)
- Al-Jazeera America plans live programming 24/7 (readingeagle.com)