This is going to be the most interesting campaign season yet, and if Michele Bachmann gets the GOP nod to be their presidential nominee, it will definately be a campaign season for the history books.
The presidential hopeful — who was born and grew up in Waterloo as a child before moving to Minnesota — said, “Well, what I want them to know is just like, John Wayne was from Waterloo, Iowa. That’s the kind of spirit that I have, too.”
The Washington Times points out one slight problem with the Tea Party favorite’s remarks: The John Wayne with roots in Waterloo is John Wayne Gacy, a serial killer who was executed by lethal injection in 1994 after being convicted of 33 murders.
John Wayne — the late movie star, director and producer — was born in Winterset, Iowa, but appears to have no specific connection to Waterloo.
Bachmann’s reference to Wayne in the Hawkeye State does not appear to be an isolated incident. In the latest edition of Newsmax magazine, the conservative congresswoman says in an exclusive interview, “We’re seeing the nation move into decline. I’m not willing to do that. I’m not satisfied. I grew up with John Wayne’s America. I was proud that you grew up in John Wayne’s America: Proud to be an American, thrilled to be a patriot.”
- Bachmann makes it official official AGAIN… (smacktalkradio.wordpress.com)
- Michele Bachmann Presidential Campaign Launched in Waterloo, IA – It is time to end the Obama Reign of Terror (ferrellgummit.wordpress.com)
- Michele Bachmann (R-Mars) Refuses to Accept Fox Host Chris Wallace’s Abject Apology (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Romney, Bachmann lead GOP field in Iowa poll (capitolhillblue.com)
- Michele Bachmann’s Holy War (3quarksdaily.com)
- Chris Wallace On Michele Bachmann’s ‘Flake’ Question: ‘I Messed Up, I’m Sorry’ (mediaite.com)
- Fox’s Chris Wallace To Michele Bachmann: ‘Are You A Flake?’ (mediaite.com)