Conservative film- and troublemaker James O’Keefe does little to dissuade animosity from the left, though after a series of faux pas has left him adrift as ideological allies question who in their right mind who greenlight wiretapping a Senator’s office or cornering a journalist in what can only be described as a “dildo boat.” To that end, Playboy’s Jordan Lieberman sought O’Keefe and found a conflicted picture of a passionate activist with a serious judgment problem.
Struggling to explain him, Lieberman– who received access through O’Keefe after convincing him to trust the columnist because they “inhabit the same circles”– alludes to everyone from Johnny Knoxville to Woodward and Bernstein to G. Gordon Liddy himself: an “ace performance artist–political shit stirrer–jackass.” This convoluted description, while accurate, doesn’t explain too much, though the background that Lieberman gives on his life certainly adds some clarity. O’Keefe has been at this since performing in high school musicals. That preposterous “pimp” coat he wore in the famous ACORN video? On loan from grandma. Yes, he lives in his parents’ house, but he’d rather not talk about it. He is very poor and appears to trust people he barely knows on a whim. He has a cache of juicy “investigative” pieces he can’t release because of the legally questionable way the information was obtained, one– Lieberman’s favorite– in which O’Keefe plays a “high-roller” who visits a resort owned by a prominent politician in search of prostitutes. Always the prostitutes with this one.
- Playboy – of all places – has an amazing article up about the rise and fall of James O’Keefe, the ACORN-slaying activist once feted by the right but now seen as a kid with awful judgment – one hated by many on both sides of the aisle. (Link semi-NSFW) (shortformblog.tumblr.com)
- N.J. activist James O’Keefe encourages tea party members in East Windsor to conduct investigations (nj.com)
- N.J. tea party’s ‘citizen’s convention’ includes activist James O’Keefe as speaker (nj.com)
- Marcy Wheeler: Has Anybody Ever Seen James O’Keefe and Bill Keller in the Same Place at the Same Time? (delong.typepad.com)
- James O’Keefe NPR video: Why do 12 states still make it illegal to tape people without their knowledge? (slate.com)
- For some reason, James O’Keefe doesn’t want to be videotaped (salon.com)