I would agree that right-wing talk radio is an Achilles heel for the GOP but they have bigger problems than that.
They have an immigration problem, a gun problem, a people of color problem and a “stupid party” problem. Not to mention their anti-abortion legislation problems. Also the fact that the Tea Party won’t allow the GOP any amount of compromise not only stifles our government, it stifles the party as well.
Yep, what the GOP has…is a bad image problem.
GOP strategist Frank Luntz went off the record before a group of college Republicans earlier this month at the University of Pennsylvania to discuss the negative impact he believes right-walk talk radio has had on the GOP, Mother Jones reported Thursday.
“And they get great ratings, and they drive the message, and it’s really problematic,” Luntz said of right-wing talk-radio programs, according to a recording of the event. Luntz added that talk radio has been especially damaging to Sen. Marco Rubio’s immigration reform efforts.
“He’s getting destroyed,” Luntz said, “by Mark Levin, by Rush Limbaugh, and a few others. He’s trying to find a legitimate, long-term effective solution to immigration that isn’t the traditional Republican approach, and talk radio is killing him. That’s what’s causing this thing underneath. And too many politicians in Washington are playing coy.”
According to Mother Jones’ piece, written by David Corn, Luntz asked the audience to allow him to speak off the record, prompting one college newspaper reporter to switch off his device. But another student, Aakash Abbi, captured the sound bite on his iPhone.
Corn has built a reputation reporting on surreptitious recordings, starting with Mitt Romney’s “47 percent” comments and continuing with a secretly recorded Mitch McConnell campaign strategy meeting.
Listen to the audio and read Corn’s full piece here.
- Luntz Speaks the Truth, Thinking He’s Off the Record (embattledfarmers.wordpress.com)
- GOP Pollster Frank Luntz: Limbaugh, Levin, And Right-Wing Talk Radio Are ‘Problematic’ (mediaite.com)
- Republican consultant Frank Luntz criticizes Rush Limbaugh: Let’s see how that works out for him (dailykos.com)
- David Corn’s Source Live-Tweeted Talk: Frank Luntz: Tough Guy, Until He’s Not! (riehlworldview.com)
- Mother Jones Scrapes The Bottom Of The Scoop Barrel (daily-download.com)
- Frank Luntz: talk radio ‘destroying’ Marco Rubio over immigration (canadafreepress.com)