In my opinion, Jon Stewart and his writers are nothing short of genius…
On his show Wednesday night, The Daily Show host Jon Stewart illustrated how Fox News personalities feigned love of the U.S. Constitution, but quickly abandoned it when it conflicted with their opinion.
In particular, Stewart observed that various Fox News hosts and pundits trashed the Bill of Rights following the Boston Marathon bombing.
Many at Fox were upset that bombing suspect Dzokhar Tsarnaev was read his Miranda rights, while others called for him to be declared an enemy combatant despite the fact he is a U.S. citizen.
“So in the wake of an assault on our freedom and way of life, we have quickly jettisoned the Sixth Amendment right to a fair and speedy trial, and the Fifth Amendment’s right against self-incrimination. What’s next?” Stewart remarked, before playing a clip of Sean Hannity saying Tsarnaev should be waterboarded. “So there goes the Eighth Amendment’s ban on cruel and unusual punishment. Any freedom lovers what to take a crack at some of the lower ones?”
Stewart showed that Brian Kilmeade and Eric Bolling both called for the FBI to place listening devices in mosques, a violation of Fourth Amendment rights. Meanwhile, “Fox’s most prominent liberal voice” Bob Beckel jettisoned First Amendment rights by calling for a moratorium on Muslim exchange students. Ann Coulter took at stab at the Ninth Amendment by calling for the widow of the deceased bombing suspect to be imprisoned for wearing a hijab.
“Ann Coulter doesn’t just want a police state, she wants a fashion police state,” Stewart remarked.
Watch video, via Comedy Central.
- Jon Stewart Trashes Fox News For Throwing Out The Constitution: The Law Is ‘No Match For Freedom Math’ (mediaite.com)
- Coulter: Boston suspect’s widow ‘ought to be in prison for wearing a hijab’ (kstreet607.com)
- ‘Egypt’s Jon Stewart’ Bassem Youssef Yuks It Up About Egyptian Gov’t Targeting Him On Daily Show (mediaite.com)
- Jon Stewart Drubs CNN Again For Boston Bombing Reporting (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Ann Coulter: Boston Bomb Suspect’s Wife Should Be In Prison For Wearing A Hijab (newshounds.us)