No two ways about it, Rick Santorum had a good night. Not only did he sweep Colorado, Minnesota and Missouri but he also got off the best line of the night.
“I don’t stand here to claim to be the conservative alternative to Mitt Romney. I stand here to be the conservative alternative to Barack Obama.”
A slap to the side of the head of Romney while pushing him aside and casting himself as the one and only true conservative who has the creds to take on the Kenyan guy – and he did it with a single sentence. Impressive.
Is there more to this Santorum fellow than any of us give him credit for?
Not really. He’s still the bigoted, narrow-minded, gay-bashing, religious zealot you always knew him to be. The only reason people are still talking about Santorum at this stage of a Republican primary is that he’s fortunate enough to be running at a time when the GOP decided to put on a clown show instead of a true presidential nomination race where thinking adults articulate intelligent ideas based on strong conservative ideals.
Instead, the GOP has offered the likes of Michele Bachmann, Rick Perry, Herman Cain, Ron Paul and Newt Gingrich who have embarrassed themselves and insulted the intelligence of Americans with…
- Wanting to do away with the minimum wage. (Bachmann)
- Wanting to build a 20 foot high electrified fence at the border that would kill Mexicans attempting to cross it. (Cain)
- Wanting to eliminate Dept. of Education/Energy/Health and Human Services, the Federal Aviation Administration, IRS and implement a $1 trillion budget cut in the first year. (Paul)
- Wanting to deregulate the oil industry further because the Gulf oil spill was simply an “act of God”. (Perry)
- Wanting to colonize the moon. (Gingrich)
You could fill pages with stuff like this. Whatever world Republican candidates are hoping to make better, it sure as hell isn’t the one we’re living in.
And into this field of misfits, loons, pretenders and grifters comes a Rick Santorum whose main appeal is to social conservatives who agree with Santorum that:
- women who get pregnant by way of rape or incest should be forced by their government to give birth to the baby because that pregnancy is a “gift” from God.
- homosexuality is on the same level as adultery, bigamy, incest, bestiality and pedophilia.
- contraception endangers the country and should be banned.
“Many of the Christian faith have said, well, that’s okay, contraception is okay. It’s not okay. It’s a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be.”
Fear not. Rick Santorum will not be the Republican nominee. While he may be the anti-Romney flavor of the week, he lacks the the organization and money to take on Mitt Romney nationwide. He also lacks the support of the Republican establishment which is putting its money on Romney. They understand that selling Romney to the masses in a general election will not be an easy task but selling a hardcore crazy evangelical like Rick Santorum would be an impossible task.
Enjoy the moment, Rick, as fleeting as it may be.
- How Does Rick Santorum Feel About Hispanic Issues? (louisadheen.wordpress.com)
- Rick Santorum Wins Missouri And Minnesota (mediaite.com)
- Rick Santorum hits Mitt Romney as âMr. Big Government’ after election wins (boston.com)
- Can Rick Santorum Keep His Momentum Going? (usnews.com)
- Santorum distances himself from Gingrich narrative (thehill.com)
- Rick Santorum Easily Wins Minnesota, Takes Aim At Obama (inquisitr.com)