Colin Powell told graduates of South Carolina’s premier historically black university that they were graduating during a tumultuous time that saw a royal wedding, a pope’s beatification and a U.S. military assault that killed Osama bin Laden, “the worst person on earth.”
But the former secretary of state and Joint Chiefs chairman told South Carolina State University’s 400 graduates on Friday that he particularly enjoyed another recent event: “That was when President Obama took out his birth certificate and blew away Donald Trump and all the birthers!”
The stadium roared in approval of Powell’s comments on the president’s move last week to quell the doubts of those who don’t believe he was born in Hawaii. The retired Army four-star general endorsed Obama’s 2008 presidential bid.
Earlier Friday, Powell was made an honorary member of the school’s ROTC hall of fame.
- Blown away – Powell: Obama trumped birthers (politico.com)
- Colin Powell: Obama blew away the birthers (sfgate.com)
- Colin Powell: I enjoyed Obama one-upping Trump (cbsnews.com)
- Colin Powell’s Former Chief Of Staff: “Let Me Waterboard Donald Rumsfeld!” (businessinsider.com)
- Behind David Petraeus’ CIA Detour (thedailybeast.com)
- Best Black Celeb Mentors (theroot.com)
- Colin Powell at American University! (auambassadors.wordpress.com)