This story has perplexed me from day one. I don’t recall reading any response from the Dade County police officials on this issue…
“The mother of a 14-year-old arrested over Memorial Day weekend on a Miami beach is accusing police of brutality, after officers forced her son to the ground and put him in a choke hold. Police accuse the teen of “clenching his fists” and giving officers “dehumanizing stares.”*
Miami police slammed and choked 14-year old Tremaine McMillian. Why? Was it the threat he posed by walking away? The puppy he was holding? The lack of being armed? The “dehumanizing stares” he made at them?
Cenk Uygur, Ana Kasparian, and Ben Mankiewicz break it down.
- The Most Absurd Human Rights Violations (123): Choked by Cops Over “Dehumanizing Stare” (filipspagnoli.wordpress.com)
- Florida Cops Choke Black Teen Holding Puppy Over ‘Dehumanizing Stares’ (gawker.com)
- Miami Dade Police Chokes 14 Year Old Tremaine McMillian Because He Was Staring At Them (3chicspolitico.com)
- Miami police put 14-year-old holding a puppy in choke hold for ‘dehumanizing stares’ (thegrio.com)
- Miami Cops Choke Hold Teen for Staring at Them. A Puppy is Involved. (reason.com)
- Black 14-year-old Carrying a Puppy Tackled and Choked by Police for Giving Them a “Dehumanizing Stare” (alternet.org)