In a debate today hosted by local television station WHYY, Delaware Republican Senate nominee Christine O’Donnell seemed unable to name a single sitting Democratic senator. Asked which Democrats she would be willing to work with were she elected, O’Donnell paused for a long moment, before saying Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. O’Donnell acknowledged that Clinton is no longer a senator, but said she hopes to be on the Foreign Relations Committee and would be able to work with her in that capacity. When her opponent, Democrat Chris Coons, suggested O’Donnell couldn’t name any Democratic senators, she responded by shouting out the name of Independent Sen. Joe Lieberman:
MODERATOR: Give me a name, Christine, of someone in the U.S. Senate, across the aisle that you’re comfortable working with.
O’DONNELL: [Pause] Well, she’s not a senator any more, but I would definitely have to say Hillary Clinton. [...]
COONS: One of the real risks as we go forward, is that if we elect someone who literally cannot name a single currently serving senator in my party with whom she would work –
O’DONNELL: Senator Lieberman!
COONS: Someone who has no experience crossing the biparistan divide.
Of course, this isn’t the first time O’Donnell has been stumped by a simple question. In a different debate on Monday, O’Donnell seemed confused about the text of the First Amendment, despite the fact that she has touted herself as a Constitutional scholar in the past.
For more on O’Donnell’s record, check out our ThinkProgress report: The Old Adventures of New Christine.
- Christine O’Donnell Can’t Name A Democratic Senator, But Sends Hillary Clinton Some Love (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Christine O’Donnell Doesn’t Know Much, But She Knows She’s Winning [Video] (jezebel.com)
- Christine O’Donnell Is Unable To Name A Democratic Senator (alan.com)
- Christine O’Donnell: I Regret ‘I Am Not a Witch’ Ad (politics.usnews.com)
- More Entertainment from Christine O’Donnell… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)