I saw the POTUS speech last night and was quite pleased to see that there is an adult running this country! With so much whining and selfish egotism going around in our country, President Obama stood tall above “the rest” and spoke to a wounded nation about healing.
Summoning the soul of a nation, President Barack Obama on Wednesday implored Americans to honor those slain and injured in the Arizona shootings by becoming better people, telling a polarized citizenry that it is time to talk with each other “in a way that heals, not in a way wounds.” Following a hospital bedside visit with Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, the target of the assassination, he said: “She knows we’re here, and she knows we love her.”
In a memorably dramatic moment, the president said that Giffords, who on Saturday was shot point-blank in the head, had opened her eyes for the first time shortly after his hospital visit. First lady Michelle Obama held hands with Giffords’ husband, Mark Kelly, as the news brought soaring cheers throughout the arena.
Speaking at a memorial at the University of Arizona, Obama bluntly conceded that there is no way to know what triggered the shooting rampage that left six people dead, 13 others wounded and the nation shaken. He tried instead to leave indelible memories of the people who were gunned down and to rally the country to use the moment as a reflection on the nation’s behavior and compassion. More…
- Obama calls for healing at Arizona memorial (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Nation needs healing, says Obama (mirror.co.uk)
- Obama says polarized nation needs healing (thegrio.com)
- ‘Gabby Opened Her Eyes For The First Time:’ Obama At Tucson Memorial (politicsdaily.com)
- Obama says polarized nation needs healing (charlotte.news14.com)
- The Obama of Old Returns With Arizona Speech (thedailybeast.com)
- Obama Leads World’s Most Confusing Memorial Service [Video] (gawker.com)