Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann was interrupted by Occupy Wall Street protesters while speaking on foreign policy during a stop in South Carolina on Thursday.
Mount Pleasant Patch reports that Bachmann was in the middle of her remarks when the incident occurred. The conservative congresswoman was escorted off stage amid the disturbance, which was caused by demonstrators in the audience.
Mount Pleasant Patch relays part of a prepared statement read by the protesters:
“This will only take a minute. We have a message for Mrs. Bachmann. You capitalize on dividing Americans. Claiming people that disagree with you are unpatriotic socialists. And you promote discrimination. This does not help the American People.”
After the interruption, Bachmann returned to the stage. She quipped, “Don’t you love the First Amendment?”
- Protestors Run Michele Bachmann Off Stage (perezhilton.com)
- Protesters Occupy Michele Bachmann today in Charleston, South Carolina (dangerousminds.net)
- ‘Occupy Charleston’ Protesters Infiltrate Michele Bachmann Event: VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- Michele Bachmann Faces Off Against Occupy Charleston’s Human Microphone (mediaite.com)
- Protesters Rock Bachmann Event (huffingtonpost.com)
- The Occupy Movement Strikes Again! – Michelle Bachmann Walks Out On Town Hall Meeting Because Of #OWS Protesters (reclaimamericafromthelunaticfringe.wordpress.com)
- South Carolina Occupy Protesters Interrupt Michele Bachmann Speech (usnews.com)
- Bachmann, Occupied (slog.thestranger.com)
- Occupy Groups Go After Candidates And Politicians (lezgetreal.com)