Jim Crow laws seem to be alive and well in FL and other states adopting similar laws…
Rick Scott is sued for the fifth time in almost six months, this time for signing a law that civil libertarians say violates the Voting Rights Act.
A pair of liberal-leaning groups sued Gov. Rick Scott on Friday to block an elections law that they say amounts to “voter suppression.”
The ACLU of Florida and Project Vote filed the suit in the hopes that it would stop Miami-Dade County from shortening the number of early-voting days before its June 28 mayoral elections.
The new law shortens the early voting days – but not necessarily the number of total hours – from 14 to eight days. It also requires an out-of-county voter who tries to change his voting precinct on Election Day to cast a provisional ballot, which can be more easily challenged. Also, the law cracks down on third-party registration groups.
One of the plaintiffs, Tampa Sen. Arthenia Joyner, said the bill passed by the Republican-led Legislature is an example of a “rank partisan agenda” that disproportionately hurts minorities.
“It is un-American to make it a burden to vote. Too many people fought and died for this right,” Joyner, a Democrat said. “This is an abomination. And it’s unconscionable.”
- Rick Scott Retreats On Worker Drug Tests (huffingtonpost.com)
- Gov. Rick Scott – – -Thanks for giving another good law……..Admin, Cape Coral (capecoralblogger.wordpress.com)
- Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon vetoes voter suppression law (dailykos.com)
- ACLU Sues Rick Scott Over Mandatory Drug Testing For Florida State Workers (huffingtonpost.com)
- Florida’s Inscrutable Rick Scott, America’s Least Popular Governor (swampland.time.com)
- DNC chairwoman: Republicans ‘literally’ want to revive Jim Crow laws (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Scott says pause in drug-testing, “just the process now” – Palm Beach Post (news.google.com)
- Gov. Rick Scott and Republican Death Panels (eyeoncitrus.com)
- Florida to charge welfare applicants to take drug test (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)