Chris Matthews was nearly apoplectic in his questioning of Tea Party Express co-founder Sal Russo on the topic of Congresswoman Michele Bachmann and her controversial re-imagining of history where the founding fathers found a way to end slavery in their lifetime. Repeatedly calling Bachmann a “balloon head,” Matthews demanded to know why Russo and the Tea Party wanted Bachmann to give a response to the State of the Union address or, more generally, why they ever wanted her to open her mouth in the first place?
Given that Russo was eager to steer the topic away from what Bachmann does or does not know about slavery, the “interview” ended up being just Matthews berating Russo with questions like “do you know how little this woman knows about American history” and “what is she talking about?” Joan Walsh was also a guest for the segment, but there was a little time for her, since it was clearly much more entertaining watching Matthews scream at Russo “are you hypnotized – can you answer a question,” whenever Russo struggled to defend Bachmann.
- Watch: Chris Matthews Rips Tea Party Co-Founder Sal Russo, Questions Him About ‘Balloon Head’ Michele Bachmann (towleroad.com)
- The skewering of Sal Russo (salon.com)
- Chris Matthews: Michele Bachmann A ‘Balloon Head’ (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Tea Party GOP Rep. Michele Bachmann thinks founding fathers ended slavery (sfgate.com)
- Michelle Bachmann Founding Fathers Ended Slavery Speech (video) (nowpublic.com)
- Michele Bachmann Erroneously Gives Our Founders Credit For Ending Slavery (alan.com)