Ya gotta love this guy…
Thursday night marked the final “Daily Show” of the year — and the decade — and Jon Stewart devoted the entire program discussing something near to his heart: the 9/11 First Responders Bill.
Stewart has probably done more segments this year on the legislation known as the Zadroga Bill than any other topic. The bill would provide $7 billion in benefits for those who first responded on 9/11 and are now experiencing subsequent health problems such as cancer and respiratory disease. While it passed the House, Republicans have blocked the bill from advancing in the Senate.
Stewart noted that, while the 9/11 first responders bill is stuck, Congress did manage to pass the controversial tax bill that will extend tax cuts to everyone including the super wealthy.
“Yes!” Stewart exclaimed. “That is astoundingly good news for firefighters who make over $200,000 a year.”
Nearly pulling his hair out at one point, Stewart expressed his annoyance at “the party that turned 9/11 into a catchphrase” now blocking legislation to help its heroes. Adding to his frustration, none of the three major networks have covered the story in over two months. Surprisingly, Stewart realized this was actually a job for Fox News, “the nation’s leading source of 9/11-based outrage.” More…
- Jon Stewart Takes On GOP Obstruction of Zadroga 9/11 First Responder’s Healthcare Bill (lezgetreal.com)
- Jon Stewart Is Justifiably Very Angry That 9/11 First Responders Are Still Being Ignored (mediaite.com)
- Stewart sticks up for 9/11 first responders (dailykos.com)
- Zadroga Bill To Come Up For Another Vote According to NY Senator Gillibrand (lezgetreal.com)
- Jon Stewart Calls Out Republicans on 9/11 Responders (humor.gunaxin.com)
- Best thing on TV? (lookingcloser.org)
- When ‘The Daily Show’ picks up the slack, cont’d (washingtonmonthly.com)
- when comics get angry (thevsj.com)
- ‘Lame-As-F@#K Congress’: Jon Stewart Rips GOP Over 9/11 First Responders Bill (mediaite.com)