In my opinion, Brown’s “nice-guy” image has always been a facade…
The Scott Brown that showed up at Thursday’s Massachusetts Senate debate, “condescending, snide, repetitive, off topic, rote, eager to get personal,” and “dark, hyperkinetic,” is apparently the Scott Brown that is going to stick around through the rest of this election season. Elizabeth Warren is surging in the polls, and Brown’s desperation is showing.
Brown is shedding his Mr. Nice Guy image and going on the attack. Warren is trying to make the race a referendum on a potential Republican Senate and less about personality—a contest she’d have difficulty winning against the likable, everyman Brown. [...][A]fter months of warm ads showcasing the senator as a down-to-earth family man and consensus-seeking moderate, Brown debuted a more combative strategy during the debate. The senator’s invective toward Warren only accelerated over the weekend during numerous campaign stops. [...]
Brown batted away questions about whether his comments signaled he was set to embark on a more negative campaign, but did allow, “The true Elizabeth Warren is coming out and will continue to come out.”
Brown apparently thinks the “true Elizabeth Warren” is in the personal issue he just can’t get over, her heritage. This is where the truly nasty Brown emerges, in his latest ad.
Brown won’t run on or answer to the actual issues of this campaign. He’s running a campaign heavy on resentment of gender, class, and background, the kind of campaign that Richard Trumka warned voters against falling for. Last week’s debate made it abundantly clear that Brown doesn’t have a defense against his votes to protect millionaires and Big Oil. All he can do is to try to change the subject.
In doing so, in becoming attack Brown, he loses the main thing he has going for him with non-Republicans, his nice-guy, non-partisan, above the fray image. Instead of exposing Warren, Brown is exposing his own true self. And his true self is an asshole.
- In Mass., Senate race takes negative turn (cbsnews.com)
- Watch: Scott Brown, Elizabeth Warren Go Head-To-Head In First Senate Debate (mediaite.com)
- New Elizabeth Warren TV ad strategy – don’t let Elizabeth Warren talk (legalinsurrection.com)
- Do-It-Yourself Scorecard – Who Won The Debate, Scott Brown Or Elizabeth Warren? (wbur.org)
- Elizabeth Warren Leads Scott Brown In Massachusetts Senate Race Poll (huffingtonpost.com)
- Scott Brown, Elizabeth Warren use face-to-face debate to amplify themes from Senate trail (boston.com)
- Elizabeth Warren Leading Scott Brown In Two New Polls (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Elizabeth Warren Just Got Slammed Again For Claiming To Be Native American (businessinsider.com)