You can’t make this stuff up. Gov. Christie needs to give more tax cuts to the rich so he enacts draconian methods to take Medicaid away from families making $6000.00 per year, according to Think Progress. This is nothing short of real death panels.
Despite recent polls that show Americans are just as protective of Medicaid as they are of Medicare, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) is trying to gut the popular program in his state and prevent 23,000 people from receiving benefits. Christie has proposed cutting Medicaideligibility to absurdly low levels: from the current maximum income of $24,645 to $5,317 a year for a family of three. Apparently, the governor believes a family of three making $6,000 a year is simply too rich to receive Medicaid.
The New Jersey press has reported that the main effect of his proposal would be to slash help for the working poor, tearing a huge hole in the state’s social safety net:
Adults in a family of three that makes as little as $103 a week would earn too much to qualify for health care provided by Medicaid under a sharply curtailed program Gov. Chris Christie wants the federal government to approve this year, according to state officials and advocates briefed on the proposal.[…]
The Christie administration is expected to propose cutting the maximum income level of Medicaid from $24,645 to $5,317 a year for a family of three […]
“That is about a third of the poverty level,” Castro said. “That means that an uninsured parent working full time at a minimum-wage job wouldn’t be eligible. … A parent who works half-time for minimum wage wouldn’t even qualify.
“Unfortunately, the only way these parents can become eligible for health coverage in the future is if the parent applies for and is eligible for welfare,” Castro added. “That sends the wrong message.”
Democratic lawmakers are furious that Christie is insisting on making $300 million in cuts on the backs of poor and disabled residents. They point out that apart from the morally bankrupt idea of denying care to the neediest population, having more people uninsured will ultimately be more costly for New Jersey.
- Republican Gov. Christie Thinks A Family Making $6,000 A Year Is Too Rich To Qualify For Medicaid (politicore.wordpress.com)
- Chris Christie: $6,000 a year is too much income to qualify for Medicaid (dailykos.com)
- Gov. Christie’s proposed income limits would cut Medicaid for working poor (nj.com)
- Christie eyes curb on Medicaid rolls (philly.com)
- Gov. Chris Christie Reimburses New Jersey For Helicopter Ride To Son’s Baseball Game (mediaite.com)
- Christie eyes lower income limit for Medicaid eligibility (philly.com)
- Famous fiscal conservative Chris Christie takes… (shortformblog.tumblr.com)
- NJ Medicaid, Obamacare and the liar that is New Jersey Governor Chris Christie (bonjupatten.wordpress.com)
- Gov. Christie pays it back (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)