During a Kansas state House Appropriations Committee hearing on state spending for controlling feral swine, GOP state Rep. Virgil Peck suggested that hunters could shoot undocumented immigrants like they do with pigs in order to control illegal immigration:
A legislator said Monday it might be a good idea to control illegal immigration the way the feral hog population has been controlled — with hunters shooting from helicopters.
State Rep. Virgil Peck, R-Tyro, said he was just joking, but that his comment did reflect frustration with the problem of illegal immigration. [...]
After one of the committee members talked about a program that uses hunters in helicopters to shoot wild swine, Peck suggested that may be a way to control illegal immigration.
The Lawrence Journal World reports that Peck refused to apologize for the remark. “I was just speaking like a southeast Kansas person,” he said. The Kansas blog Dome on the Range has the audio clip and direct quote of Peck’s remarks. “It looks like to me if shooting these immigrating feral hogs works maybe we have found a [solution] to our illegal immigration problem,” he said
- Kansas GOP State Rep: Shoot Illegal Immigrants From Helicopters Like Pigs (alan.com)
- Kansas State Rep. Virgil Peck Advocates Slaughtering Immigrants Like Pigs (news.change.org)
- Kansas Republican jokes about controlling illegal immigration by using the gumen who shoot feral pigs from helicoptors (crooksandliars.com)
- “Kansas Rep. Virgil Peck Suggests Shooting Immigrants Like Hogs” and related posts (guanabee.com)
- “Immigration Quote of the Day, Courtesy of Kansas State Rep. Virgil Peck” and related posts (latinopoliticsblog.com)
- Politician likens illegal immigrants to feral hogs (cbc.ca)