Wow…the audacity of some Republicans is absolutely mind-boggling.
Oh no, big bad Harry Reid is threatening the Republicans by suggesting that something be done to stop their obstruction. In the same speech on the Senate floor, McConnell tried to claim that the talk of Republican obstruction was all part of a Democratic power grab, “Let’s be clear. These threats to use the nuclear option because of obstruction are just pretexts for a power grab. The Senate has confirmed 19 of the President’s judicial nominees so far this year. By this point in his second term, President Bush had a grand total of four judicial confirmations.”
What Sen. McConnell didn’t say was that Obama’s judicial nominees have waited an average of 227 days for confirmation compared to 175 days for George W. Bush’s nominees. Chuck Hagel was the first defense secretary nominee ever to be filibustered. Obama’s EPA nominee is being filibuster by Sen. Roy Blunt. In fact, McConnell didn’t bother to mention that Republicans used the filibuster 252 times during Obama’s first term. Senate Republicans are averaging nearly three filibusters a month in so far in 2013.
Harry Reid is “intimidating” Mitch McConnell by suggesting that the rules be changed so that Republicans will be forced to stop gumming up the works of the legislative process. What Mitch McConnell called a culture of intimidation is what the rest of us refer to as a functioning government.
There has been no word yet on McConnell’s other claims that Harry Reid took his lunch money, and knocked his books out of his hands on the way to 6th period study hall, but we should put nothing past noted master of intimidation Harry Reid.
- How McConnell Essentially (And Openly) Took Bribes From Big Oil (youngprogressivevoices.com)
- Mitch McConnell gloats after GOP thumbs nose at Newtown families (dailykos.com)
- Make That 14 Oath-Keepers … Mitch McConnell Mans Up (youviewed.com)
- John McCain sides with Obama, as Mitch McConnell joins Senate gun filibuster (riehlworldview.com)
- Now You’ve Done It, Senate Republicans! (sporkinthedrawer.typepad.com)
- Mitch McConnell joins Senate gun filibuster (democraticunderground.com)