My friend who emailed this to me wrote: “Birthers are gonna go nuts with this one!” You bet they will…
Hawaiian Health Director Loretta Fuddy was killed in a small plane crash off Hawaii.
The Hawaiian health official who verified the authenticity of President Obama’s birth certificate died in a small plane crash.
The plane, carrying a pilot and eight passengers, went down Wednesday in the water a half mile off the Hawaiian island of Molokai, the Maui Fire Department said. The lone fatality was Loretta Fuddy, who has served as state health director since January 2011. Tom Matsuda, the interim executive director of Hawaii’s health insurance exchange, confirmed Fuddy’s death.
Fuddy, 65, made national news in April 2011 when she verified the authenticity of certified copies of President Obama’s birth certificate. Obama had requested the release to curb claims by so-called “birthers” that he was born in Kenya and not eligible to be president.
Makani Kai Air President Richard Schuman said the crash of the Cessna Grand Caravan was caused by engine failure.
“Our hearts are broken,” Gov. Neil Abercrombie said in a statement. “Loretta was deeply loved and respected. She was selfless, utterly dedicated and committed to her colleagues in the Department of Health and to the people of Hawaii. Her knowledge was vast; her counsel and advice always given from her heart as much as from her storehouse of experience.”
Matsuda, who worked with Fuddy to set up the state’s Obamacare website, Hawaii Health Connector, called her death “a terrible loss” for the state.
“I worked closely with Director Fuddy on the Affordable Care Act and came to know and respect her as a passionate advocate for public health and a warm, caring human being,” Matsuda said.
The plane went down about a half-mile northwest of Kalaupapa peninsula, which was home to a leper colony until 1969. A handful of patients still live there. The state health director by law remains mayor of part of the peninsula, and Fuddy was visiting the peninsula in that capacity, state Health Department spokeswoman Janice Okubo said.
Okubo said the department’s deputy director, Keith Yamamoto, also had been booked on the flight.
Coast Guard Petty Officer Melissa McKenzie said a Coast Guard helicopter got three passengers out of the water while Maui fire crews picked up five people. One person swam ashore.
- Official who OK’d Obama birth papers dies in crash (usatoday.com)
- Hawaii Health Official Who Claimed She Verified Obama’s Birth Certificate Killed in Plane Crash (All Other Passengers Survived) (libertynews.com)
- I Guess The Heart Attack Machine Was on the Blink (iowntheworld.com)
- Hawaiian Official Who Released Obama’s Birth Certificate Dies In Crash (npr.org)
- Health director who approved Obama birth certificate dies in plane crash (usnews.nbcnews.com)
- Loretta Fuddy Director of health in Hawaii dies in plane crash, Fuddy tied to Obama birth certificate controversy, Whitehouse.gov image fake, Another… (b4inmain.wordpress.com)