There’s something about Jay-Z that makes me say to myself: You go guy! Now, at my age, hip-hop is for the younger generations. I admire Jay-Z for much more than his music or lyrics.
The point is, the man is a well heeled, independent thinker who, like all of us, may make mistakes from time to time, yet when he speaks out about the Cuba trip flap and other things, he’s basically saying: “You do you…and I’ll do me!” I like that…
Rapper Jay-Z posted an “Open Letter” song to hisLife + Times blog this morning, responding the various controversies that have seemingly consumed his public life since traveling to Cuba for his fifth wedding anniversary with wifeBeyoncé.
The pair’s Cuba trip ignited a firestorm, with members of Congress launching an investigation into the legality of their vacation to the embargoed country. Ultimately, it turns out, the trip was authorized by the Department of Treasury.
Jay-Z addressed the controversy via song:
“Politicians never did shit for me/ Except lie to me, distort history/ They wanna give me jail time and a fine / Fine, let me commit a real crime / … / Obama said, ‘Chill, you’re going to get me impeached’ / You don’t need this shit anyway, chill with me on the beach.”
He later took a swipe at the critics suggesting he’s a “communist sympathizer” for his Cuban trip, noting the irony that American policy shuns one communist regime while patronizing another:
“I’m in Cuba, I love Cubans / This communist talk is so confusing / When it’s from China, the very mic that I’m using.”
In addition to Cuba-gate, Jay-Z has also come under fire for selling his shares in the Brooklyn Nets franchise in order to expand his newly-created sports agency into professional basketball. In response to the haters who claim he is callously cashing in, Hova rapped:
“I woulda moved the Nets to Brooklyn for free / Except I made millions off you fucking dweebs / I still own the building, I’m keeping my seats / You buy that bullshit, you better keep your receipts.”
Listen to the song below, produced by Swizz Beatz and Timbaland:
- listen to Jay-Z address his Nets ownership, ‘fucking dweebs’, Chief Keef, his Cuba trip & more in new song “Open Letter” (brooklynvegan.com)
- Jay-Z Raps About Cuba — “Obama Said ‘You Gonna Get Me Impeached’” (tmz.com)
- Cuban-American politicians decry Beyonce Cuba trip (miamiherald.com)
- New Music: Jay-Z’s ‘New Open Letter’ Discusses Everything From Obama To Cuba To ‘New World Management’ (allhiphop.com)
- US probes Beyonce’s tip to Cuba (bigpondnews.com)
- Ya’ll Gon’ Learn Today! Jay-Z Fires Back At Politicians Angry Over Cuba Trip In “Open Letter” (madamenoire.com)
- Jay-Z records song, ‘Open Letter,’ which appears to be directed toward Cuba trip critics – @CNN (marquee.blogs.cnn.com)
- UPDATE: Beyonce and Jay-Z’s Trip To Cuba Was ‘Fully Licensed’ (v103.cbslocal.com)
- Treasury Dept.: Beyonce, Jay-Z’s Cuba Vacay Was ‘Educational Exchange Trip’ (pjmedia.com)